Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

sourcetree app can't update

Astro Nomenov October 19, 2022

Method not found: 'Void SharpCompress.Readers.IReaderExtensions.WriteEntryToFile(SharpCompress.Readers.IReader, System.String, SharpCompress.Readers.ExtractionOptions)'.

Why is sourcetree such a horrible application so full of bugs????? 

They should study Sublime Merge and program accordingly. I detest sourcetree.

7 answers

1 accepted

12 votes
Answer accepted
Vipin Yadav
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
October 19, 2022

We have fixed the issue and will be applicable into next release as it was already shipped into previous version. So for workaround please update(reinstall) the sourcetree directly from this link. 

Link: [https://product-downloads.atlassian.com/software/sourcetree/windows/ga/SourceTreeSetup-3.4.10.exe]

Thanks,

Vipin

Mic Rho October 26, 2022

I've tried to look for this direct link to your 3.4.10 version but your main website still has the 3.4.9 as the Windows download. It would be nice if you at least keep your latest version updated on your website to avoid frustrated users.

Like Bobby Pal likes this
Natchiar Venkatachalam
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
October 26, 2022

Very Sorry for all the in-conveniences caused.

This is an early release we have suggested the users to try while we are working towards the formal 3.4.10 release.

We are still working on the formal process and release of the 3.4.10.

Thanks,

Stew Stryker October 27, 2022

Thanks for explaining as this update bug caused me to waste time too. 

I'm sure it's occurred to you that the better solution would be for v3.4.9 not to tell us there's an update until the "formal" release is ready. Hopefully, that will be the case next time there's an update.

Like # people like this
Natchiar Venkatachalam
Atlassian Team
October 27, 2022

Sure Stew! 

As we keep progressing in our formal release, thanks for the valuable input we will surely consider it next time.

Thanks,

Ekoate_Ges November 1, 2022

Thank you

4 votes

I uninstalled it. i can just use the website to get my repo names. this app is forever dead to me.

you guys obviously DO NOT test all upgrade paths. this is the reason i am not going to use or suggest anyone to use your tools from here forward.

UNRELIABLE junk mostly from my experience from the start with bitbucket.

I'm done, do your own testing, maybe you won't lose more users that way.

1 vote
MKr November 17, 2022

While the download link presented above does work, an upgrade from 3.4.9 to 3.4.10 from within Sourcetree STILL fails with the very same error message as was reported almost a month ago...

Don't know what to say to that.

Mukesh Kumar
Atlassian Team
December 29, 2022

Hi @MKr 

Release versions can not be changed, that's why upgrade from Sourcetree 3.4.9 to latest version can not be fixed.

But in 3.4.10, we fixed it during phased rollout. Even 3.4.10 users who downloaded it in first phase are facing issue with update.

So, if any user is facing update issue, we recommend downloading latest version from Sourcetree website and install that.

Currently Sourcetree 3.4.11 is in phased rollout. that can also be downloaded from following link (Sourcetree 3.4.11).

1 vote

I had to uninstall sourcetree (lamest git app I have ever used--git for windows is far superior)

Then I had to delete ALL sourctree and squirrel folders. Then install latest and reistablish contact with my server, but thats not all, it took several times of this proceedure for it to actually work!

Then it says a new update is available, even though i downloaded latest, and IT FAILS, then it won't run until rebooted

WHAT A POS

I am DONE using this horrid crap.

i will use the website only to get my repo names so i can clone them with Sublime Merge or from bash

sourcetree is a COMPLETE WASTE OF TIME AND ENERGY. whoever is working on it, it's a POS

Natchiar Venkatachalam
Atlassian Team
October 19, 2022

Hi @Astro Nomenov ,

Very Sorry for all the in-conveniences caused.

As we mentioned earlier,

Please note that if you are in 3.4.9 the check for updates will not work & hence we recommend you to use this fixed 3.4.10 version by directly downloading from the url.
If you are in 3.4.8 or lesser versions you use check for updates feature and update to 3.4.10.

Thanks,

0 votes
Dario Fumagalli May 28, 2023

As of today, updates still FAIL. With the same errors reported above.

I manually downloaded the installer and then the upgrade worked.

However, of course, like ****ALWAYS****, now I am trying to update the embedded Git and guess what, it downloads a compressed file, unpacks it and...

...drums roll...

That update fails too.

I am speechless.

Now, I don't really care any more, because due to your extra-low quality I switched to another repo service with functioning client utilities.

But I just wanted to have this for posterity, as a reminder to never trust your products again.

And no, don't bother replying with your "oh-we-are-oh-so-sorry", because you had *YEARS* to fix your stuff and still didn't do that.

Had I been so inept I'd been fired years ago.

0 votes
marcellomon March 6, 2023

Auto upgrade from 3.4.11 to 3.4.12 is still broken. It failed with error:

Method not found: 'Void SharpCompress.Readers.IReaderExtensions.WriteEntryToFile(SharpCompress.Readers.IReader, System.String, SharpCompress.Readers.ExtractionOptions)'.

After closing the app, it won't open again, forcing me to reinstall Source Tree.

0 votes
Xander Faro December 29, 2022

Same issue when upgrading from 3.4.10 to 3.4.11. After the error, SourceTree won't start anymore. Thanks.

Mukesh Kumar
Atlassian Team
December 29, 2022

Hi @Xander Faro 

Could you please share the logs which are available at following location:

C:\Users\<UserName>\AppData\Local\Atlassian\Sourcetree\sourcetree.log

Meanwhile you can direct download Sourcetree 3.4.11.

Xander Faro December 29, 2022

Yes I can. How would you like to receive it?

The log line for today are:

ERROR [2022-12-29 08:09:53,021] [50] [SourceTree.Scheduler.SourceTreeDispatcher] [Log] - Unable to get Dispatcher Application.Current is null
ERROR [2022-12-29 08:09:53,021] [50] [SourceTree.Scheduler.SourceTreeDispatcher] [Log] - Unable to get Thread dispatcher is null
ERROR [2022-12-29 09:30:14,442] [1] [SourceTree.Model.Repository] [Log] - Repository: [] does not exist
ERROR [2022-12-29 09:30:14,470] [1] [SourceTree.Model.Repository] [Log] - Repository: [] does not exist
ERROR [2022-12-29 09:30:14,471] [1] [SourceTree.Model.Repository] [Log] - Repository: [] does not exist
ERROR [2022-12-29 09:30:14,473] [1] [SourceTree.Model.Repository] [Log] - Repository: [] does not exist
ERROR [2022-12-29 09:30:14,474] [1] [SourceTree.Model.Repository] [Log] - Repository: [] does not exist
ERROR [2022-12-29 09:30:14,475] [1] [SourceTree.Model.Repository] [Log] - Repository: [] does not exist
ERROR [2022-12-29 09:30:14,476] [1] [SourceTree.Model.Repository] [Log] - Repository: [] does not exist
ERROR [2022-12-29 09:30:14,477] [1] [SourceTree.Model.Repository] [Log] - Repository: [] does not exist
ERROR [2022-12-29 09:30:14,481] [1] [SourceTree.Model.Repository] [Log] - Repository: [] does not exist
ERROR [2022-12-29 09:30:14,482] [1] [SourceTree.Model.Repository] [Log] - Repository: [] does not exist
ERROR [2022-12-29 09:31:03,488] [1] [Sourcetree.Installer.Squirrel.Utils.UpdateHelper] [Log] - Couldn't read staging user ID
ERROR [2022-12-29 09:31:03,492] [1] [Sourcetree.Installer.Squirrel.Utils.UpdateHelper] [Log] - Couldn't read staging user ID
ERROR [2022-12-29 09:31:07,471] [1] [Sourcetree.Installer.Squirrel.Utils.UpdateHelper] [Log] - Unable to complete update
System.MissingMethodException: Method not found: 'Void SharpCompress.Readers.IReaderExtensions.WriteEntryToFile(SharpCompress.Readers.IReader, System.String, SharpCompress.Readers.ExtractionOptions)'.
at Squirrel.ReleasePackage.<>c__DisplayClass15_2.<ExtractZipForInstall>b__1()
at Squirrel.Utility.<>c__DisplayClass8_0.<Retry>b__0()
at Squirrel.Utility.Retry[T](Func`1 block, Int32 retries)
at Squirrel.ReleasePackage.<>c__DisplayClass15_0.<ExtractZipForInstall>b__0()
at System.Threading.Tasks.Task.Execute()
--- End of stack trace from previous location where exception was thrown ---
at System.Runtime.ExceptionServices.ExceptionDispatchInfo.Throw()
at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.HandleNonSuccessAndDebuggerNotification(Task task)
at Squirrel.UpdateManager.ApplyReleasesImpl.<>c__DisplayClass7_0.<<installPackageToAppDir>b__0>d.MoveNext()
at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.HandleNonSuccessAndDebuggerNotification(Task task)
at Squirrel.Utility.<LogIfThrows>d__43`1.MoveNext()
at Squirrel.UpdateManager.ApplyReleasesImpl.<ApplyReleases>d__2.MoveNext()
at Squirrel.UpdateManager.<ApplyReleases>d__10.MoveNext()
at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter`1.GetResult()
at Sourcetree.Installer.Squirrel.Utils.UpdateHelper.<DownloadAvailableUpdates>d__27.MoveNext()

Mukesh Kumar
Atlassian Team
December 29, 2022

Hi @Xander Faro 

Thanks for sharing the logs.

Your logs confirm that you are using 3.4.10 version which was released to first 25% users during phased rollout.

We regret for the inconvenience.

Now, to resolve your issue, either you can download the working Sourcetree 3.4.10 version from https://sourcetreeapp.com/ or download Sourcetree 3.4.11 from direct download link https://product-downloads.atlassian.com/software/sourcetree/windows/ga/SourceTreeSetup-3.4.11.exe.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events