Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"stage selected lines" and then "commit only those lines" now commits entire containing file

Oli February 22, 2019

I recently noticed that the "stage selected lines" and then "commit only those lines" stopped working. It is now committing the entire file.

If I have a file with 20+ lines changed lines in it, say lines 1-20

and I want to make one commit with lines 3-8

and then another commit with lines 1-2, 9-20

My usual work flow was to select those lines and then click Commit.

As of two attempts recently this commits the whole file not just those lines.

I'm on macOS 10.12.6 and Sourcetree 2.7.6

I've now switched to use Sourcetree to stage the specific lines and commit within my command line as that does seem to be working.

My previous workflow appeared to work as expected 48 hours ago.

3 answers

1 vote
mikkolauhakari January 17, 2020

I'm experiencing this problem now, with version 3.1.2

I stage lines from a file, write a commit message and hit "commit", and the whole file gets committed. This is very frustrating!
Being able to commit selected files so easy is one of my favorite features on SourceTree.

Any advice appreciated.

mikkolauhakari January 17, 2020

Correction. Updated to newest +4 version och still same.
Might be something locally, but what could stage the rest of the file outside of Sourcetree?

0 votes
Philippe Dey April 27, 2022

Hi,

Sorry to dig out this subject, but as a long time user of SourceTree, I still lack this function that was very useful in older versions such as the 2.7.x.

As the "Commit selected..." action is still in the UI of version 4.1.7, I assume that it is still a bug to not be able to keep the selected/staged files selected once in the commit screen.

Would be great to correct this in a near future... 

Thanks in advance!

0 votes
bgannin
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
March 8, 2019

Hi @Oli,

We're not aware of any issues in this area with 2.7.6. There aren't any remote interactions that can affect Sourcetree's behavior; the only way we would cause a change for you is if you download a new update of the app.

Are you using embedded or system Git (check the app's preferences)? What version is it?

Brian Ganninger
Principal Developer, Sourcetree

reubens March 31, 2020

Using Sourcetree 4.0.1 and just updated macOS to 10.15.4 from macOS High Sierra and now staging lines no longer works. The whole file is moved into the staged area but also remains in the unstaged area.

Correction - was during uncommitted merge. macOS update was just coincidence. 

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events