Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"No developer tools found" on latest Mavericks/Xcode

Jess Perkins October 23, 2013

Updated to latest Mavericks and Xcode 5. Attempts to pull or push against a git repository now give me this error:

xcode-select: error: no developer tools were found at '/Applications/Xcode.app', and no install could be requested (perhaps no UI is present), please install manually from 'developer.apple.com'.

Xcode 5 is installed in /Applications, and the tools are present (/Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/usr/bin/git exists, for instance). Tried running `sudo xcode-select --switch /Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer`; no effect.

Any ideas? Thanks!

Update: I am using the embedded version of git:

git preferences screenshot

Switching to system git (1.8.3.4) gives me the same error.

Update #2: Tried:

• Uninstalling (via AppCleaner) and reinstalling SourceTree
  • Downloading and installing the latest Xcode Command Line Tools package from developer.apple.com

This doesn't seem to be SourceTree specific; I get the same error if I try to run `git fetch` from the command line. Other git commands seem to work, so it must be something related to connecting to the remote server. Still completely stumped.

3 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Jess Perkins October 29, 2013

Ah, I figured it out: was missing the Command Line Tools package on the SERVER. There is no indication in the error message itself where it originated, and I made the assumption that it was on my client box.

Easy fix, then: xcode-select --install (on the server, that is)

Sorry for the drama; glad to have it fixed!

1 vote
albertusputra October 27, 2013

open ur terminal and do this:

PATH=/usr/local/git/bin:$PATH
export PATH
KieranA
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 27, 2013

This won't work as SourceTree runs in its own process and thus own environment.

Jess Perkins October 29, 2013

This doesn't really make any sense: git isn't installed at that location.

0 votes
KieranA
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 27, 2013

Hey Jason,

This should work fine as has done in our Xcode 5 tests. This means your SourceTree preferences are set to use system Git. You could get ST working by specifying 'embedded Git' in your Git preferences.

As for the missing Git, perhaps you need to re-specify system Git and choose the location as /usr/bin/git. I've got a funny feeling Xcode has moved its own Git installation (command line tools) elsewhere which is why SourceTree might be failing as it's looking up the place it used to be.

Cheers

Jess Perkins October 27, 2013

Updated my question with version information: I was set to use the embedded git, and switching to system git still gives me the same error.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events