performances issue with git submodules

Hello, i'm maintaining a git repository which contains 2 dozen of git submodules. I use source tree to do all the operations but it's extremely painfull.

• in the staging area, when i add an updated submodule S.T can hang for several seconds.
  • after pushing, the history graph takes age to update. sometimes i even have to restart the software.
  • after pulling from its origin, the grey icon that represents a submodule still has an arrow drawn on top.
  • the edit box where the commit messages are typed sometimes sticks for age until the caret gets activated.
  • when ST sticks, the process manager shows 0 activity.
  • in stagging area when i click on a 'not yet added' submodule the diff view takes age to display the 2 lines that show + commit<sha 54434343434544...> and - commit<sha646454646864>

Well, in a nutshell, it's a PITA.

Is there a magic setting to get rid of all these problems ?

1 answer

There are two options in Tools/options/general that might make your life easier: "refresh automatically when files change" and "check default remotes...". Turn both of these off. Afterwards, if you suspect that the data on your screen is out of date, refresh with F5.

(SourceTree is not very well suited for this task, because it does all kinds of automatic magic about submodules in the background. Git Extensions would probably a better choice, with all the submodule-related operations done manually.)

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Published Oct 23, 2018 in Sourcetree

Tip from the team: configure your repos for hosting goodness!

Supported Platforms macOS Windows We recently introduced support for additional hosting services such as GitHub Enterprise, GitLab (Cloud, Community Edition, Enterprise Edition), and...

832 views 3 2
Read article

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you