Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

naitve symlink support on Windows 7+

James Gregurich April 2, 2013

Does your WIndows version proper use Windows symlinks( reparse points) on Windows 7? Our repositories heavily use symlinks. We would need those to be checked out as Normal Windows symlinks. I know that MSYS-git (which I suspect you are using) does not work with symlinks on Windows.

2 answers

0 votes
jean May 22, 2017

It looks like with current sourcetree on Windows symlinks work fine, as long as you say:

git config core.symlinks true

The git-for-windows installer checks if the installing user has permission to create symlinks and sets that ` true` if so, but looks like sourcetree doesn't. 

0 votes
stevestreeting
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 2, 2013

If you don't have Git installed already then the version of Git we can download for you is msysGit, so if that doesn't support the symlinks you need then that wouldn't work. However, SourceTree detects your system installed Git by default and will use that if it finds it (or you can manually specify its location), so if the system Git you have installed supports these symlinks then so should SourceTree, since it performs all of its functionality via calling that Git.

James Gregurich April 2, 2013

Currently, we run git in a custom version of cygwin. I'd probably have to be a little clever in setting that up because we run git from the bash shell hosted on cygwin. its not a normal dos executable. I'll tinker with it when I get some time. thanks.

zaheer pasha May 21, 2016

Hi,

We are new to Atlassian bitBucket.. We are planning move migrate code from one VCS to Stash. Our current VCS has many symlink and we want to create same symlink in Stash.

I tried creating symlinks using 'ln' utility, below is the scenario i tested;

Scenario1: Created symlink in Dev branch and pushed to Master branch à symlinks were pushed and are integral

Made changes in Dev branch, verified cotent is getting updated in below source and destination and then did a commit and again pushed to Master branch à  symlinks were pushed and are integral

Made a change in master branch and then pulled to Dev branch à file got removed from the destination symlink directory.

Can some one let me know how to manage symlink in stash on windows. Does Bitbucket supports symlinks on windows

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events