how to reslove 'ssh-agent' failed with code-1: System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.

I currently up source tree to latest version of source tree i.e 1.8.1 and then I try to open the source tree, i am facing some error message like "how to reslove 'ssh-agent' failed with code-1: System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object."  can some one please help me to resolve the issue.

5 answers

Install newest version of git

+1. The update process for the internal version of git failed to install, but I was able to switch to the system git, update from 1.8 to 2.7, and the ssh-agent issue was resolved.

I updated git bash and integrate to the source tree via Tool > Option > Git > Use System Git

It worked 

I fallow same steps, but having same error message window comes.

image2016-2-17 12:3:36.png

Step I did : 

1>  Update embedded Git (Tool > Option > Git > "Update Embedded Git" - button)

This will download PortableGit.7z at "<user-folder>\AppData\Local\Atlassian\SourceTree"

2> Extract PortableGit.7z

3> Use as system git (Tool > Option > Git > Use System Git)

select "\bin\git.exe" from extracted folder

I fallow same step except in step 3 i select Use Embedded Git option and issue has gone. thanks

Excellent, I got same issue and like said Kamle I just select "Use Embedded Git" option  too and work, thanks!

ankti pate answer did the job, but Sourcetree auto upgrade failed, it could not dezipp the PortableGit.7z.

This is how I managed to fix it :

1. Launch update Embedded Git (tools/options/git)
  2. If it failed : close sourcetree
  3. Go to "<user-folder>\AppData\Local\Atlassian\SourceTree"
  4. Rename  git_local to git_local_old
  5. Unzipp PortableGit.7z manually (with 7zip)to git_local
  6. restart sourcetree
  7. Go to (tools/options/git and check that Use Embedded Git is hcecked and the version is 2.6.1

Atlassian! seriously?!

Best solution... uninstall this s...

I installed git version 1.9.5 but still facing  same issue.

@Craig Chapman is right. Installing newest version is solution in this problem. It also helped me.

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Published May 30, 2018 in Sourcetree

Tip from the team: configuring Git or Mercurial in Sourcetree

Supported Platforms macOS Windows To make using Sourcetree as simple yet powerful as possible we embed (bundle) dependencies such as Git, Git LFS, and Mercurial. We strive to keep these...

992 views 2 3
Read article

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you