Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

how to push code to the existing bitbucket repository first time using sourcetree ?

Deleted user February 25, 2020

Hi,

i have an exitsing code on my local drive and i have created a empty (new ) repo in the bit bucket. now i want to push the code to the repo using the source tree.  i dont want to clone to a new folder and copy the files allover instead i want to commit the existing folder to the repo using source tree not the command line way. Please let me know if anyone has a solution to this.

2 answers

10 votes
Martin Mahoney August 10, 2021

Following on @blaiseli , the instructions above, and the Bitbucket default, is incorrect. You must have a completely bare repository to avoid a failed operation.

So, steps are

• When creating the remote repository on Bitbucket, DO NOT create ANY files, No readme, no gitignore, or anything else that might be suggested.
  • Then execute commands locally:
git remote add origin <the URL for your Bitbucket repository> 
git push -u origin master
Khoi Nguyen January 10, 2022

Or you can a force push, which will wipe out all existing files on the new repo

git push -u origin master --force

Like # people like this
6 votes
Mikael Sandberg
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 25, 2020

Hi @[deleted],

Welcome to Atlassian Community.

There should be instructions for how to populate your repository with local code shown if you access your repository in Bitbucket, but here are the steps:

1. Cd into your directory that have your code
  2. Initiate it as a Git repository by running these commands
    git init
    git add --all
    git commit -m "Initial Commit"
  3. Copy the URL for you empty repository in Bitbucket
  4. Set the remote URL for your repository and push your initial commit
    git remote add origin <the URL for your Bitbucket repository> 
    git push -u origin master

Done, you should now see your code in Bitbucket.

Ramanathan August 18, 2020

Thank you.

Like Nicholas Liong likes this
blaiseli December 12, 2020

> There should be instructions for how to populate your repository with local code shown if you access your repository in Bitbucket

There apparently isn't when keeping the default option (include a .gitignore). And then, then the instructions fail (fatal: refusing to merge unrelated histories).

In my case, I had to delete the new repository and create another one, making sure there was no .gitignore. Then the instructions appeared and worked.

Like # people like this
Cristian Tobol February 11, 2022

@Mikael Sandberg Where are the instructions? Github has it indeed.

sunil August 12, 2022

Is there a way to edit responses?

This page is one of the first google results. But the method given here has been outdated for some time.

Like Nigel Pepeon likes this

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events