Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

how to compare two git tags in source tree

janardhan April 4, 2016

I am having GIT repository and I have requirement to compare two git tags  using source tree without checkout code . Could you please help me with images step by step 

3 answers

2 votes
Tim Crall
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 5, 2016

In SourceTree you can Control-click (or Command-click on a Mac) to select any two commits in the History View and it will display the diff between them.

Screen Shot 2016-04-05 at 9.22.45 AM.png

janardhan April 5, 2016

I know the diff between two commits in source tree , I want difference between two tags using source tree , is there a way to check 

Tim Crall
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 5, 2016

I don't quite understand.  A tag is just a pointer to a commit.  Can't you just select the two commits that the tags are pointing to?

Seth
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 5, 2016

Tags are just named commits. If you are having trouble finding the tags in the graph, you can expand the Tags section on the left, and click a tag name to jump to that location in the log.

Tim's answer is as close as you are going to get using the GUI. What you're looking for may be considered the type of obscure usage that is generally excluded from GUIs to avoid cluttering.

janardhan April 7, 2016

Could you please show me the picture to compare two tags in source tree 

Seth
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 7, 2016

It's the same as Tim's answer, except each of the selected commits will have a tag beside the description.

Tim Crall
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 8, 2016

Screen Shot 2016-04-08 at 8.57.22 AM.png

0 votes
Seth
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 5, 2016

git diff TAG1 TAG2

You said you can't checkout code, but you need to have the repository cloned somewhere for git diff to work.

https://git-scm.com/docs/git-diff

janardhan April 5, 2016

Thank you for the answer, I know this command  but I want to do through Source tree tool .

0 votes
Johannes Kilian
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 4, 2016

What's the problem with checking out the code? If you currently have any uncommited changes in your sandbox (which you might not be able to commit yet for any reason), you could stash your changes temporarily - and check out the desired version, After comparison you might apply your stash again ...

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events