Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

how to checkout a single file from git

David Beutel October 6, 2011

Can SourceTree checkout a single file from an old git commit? In the Log view, I right-clicked on the file/commit that I want, but nothing on the menu looks like checkout. Also, how can I see the tree view for the old commit, to checkout a file that wasn't changed?

The closest I've found is on the File Status view; the right-click menu has Reset to Commit..., but isn't there a more direct way? It doesn't seem like this would allow the checkout of a file that wasn't already checked out.

I just started trying SourceTree today. I've been using GitX on Mac.

4 answers

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
stevestreeting
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 6, 2011

The easiest way to do this is to find the file somewhere in one of the views, either using 'Show All' on the File Status View, or somewhere in the log where it's been changed, then right-click and select 'Log Selected...'. This will give you a history of that single file, and you can right-click on any point in time for that file and select 'Reset File to this Commit'.

Because a Git commit only has entries for files that actually changed, you do have to find a commit that included that file to be able to get a context menu for it. Of course on the command line you can specify any commit after the file changed, but that's because you're specifying it by hand. But the single file log is better anyway, because you can see explicitly where that file changed and make sure you get the correct version.

David Beutel October 7, 2011

Thanks for the tip about searching and Log Selected... They look useful, too.

I was wondering if SourceTree had a view of all the files in a commit, not limited to the changed files, but it sounds like it doesn't.

David Beutel October 7, 2011

If I could search in the Log view for a file that had been deleted, then I could checkout that file (i.e., get its Log Selected and Reset to Commit). But I don't see any way to search the Log. Am I just overlooking something? It seems strange for SourceTree to not provide any way to search its Log view.

stevestreeting
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 7, 2011

Both Mercurial and Git only report the files in a commit, not the union of all files up to that commit, so that's why the content is like it is.

As for searching, you do this in the Search view (the 3rd item on the tab control in the top-left, or Cmd-3). You can search for file changes, commit comments or authors.

David Beutel October 8, 2011

Ooh, I didn't see the Search view; I'll try it on Monday. Thanks for pointing it out.

As for the Log view, I guess I need to keep in mind that it's showing the log, not the commit. A commit in git contains all the files, not just the changed files. Git viewers can commonly browse the unchanged files in a git commit, e.g., in GitX or on github.com, but I guess SourceTree can't do that yet.

0 votes
windwagon January 21, 2012

I had a non-responsive comment, so I've deleted it.

0 votes
Stefan Saasen
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
November 1, 2011

However, I still wonder how to checkout a file from that commit if it wasn't changed there and isn't already checked out.

If you are comfortable using the commandline you could use the following "workaround" as it does not seem to be possible in SourceTree.

Every commit on git refers to a tree, which is a snapshot of the whole project at the time of the commit.

To get the content of a particular file when a particular commit happened (even if that file didn't not get changed as part of the commit) you can use the following command:

git show COMMITID:local/path/to/file 

Using the git://github.com/atlassian/bamboo-git-plugin.git as an example, it looks like this:

# Random commit: b8be4b2

$> git show --stat b8be4b2

commit b8be4b27e0a649ad2a0dc10ed898847f93665aa2

Author: Marek Went <devnull@atlassian.com>

Date:   Mon Sep 26 18:22:58 2011 +0200

BAM-9846 apply multiple repo for github repo

.../bamboo/plugins/git/LoadGitHubRepositories.java |   35 +++++++++++++++++--

.../bamboo/plugins/git/ghRepositoryEdit.ftl        |    3 +-

.../bamboo/plugins/git/ghRepositoryView.ftl        |    1 -

3 files changed, 33 insertions(+), 6 deletions(-)

The commit b8be4b2 affects 3 files, to get the content of an unrelated file at that commit, use:

git show b8be4b2:src/main/java/com/atlassian/bamboo/plugins/git/GitMavenPomAccessor.java

"Checking out" could then simply be redirecting that to local file:

git show b8be4b2:src/main/java/com/atlassian/bamboo/plugins/git/GitMavenPomAccessor.java &gt; src/main/java/com/atlassian/bamboo/plugins/git/GitMavenPomAccessor.java

Again, that doesn't answer your original SourceTree related question, but I hope it helps regardless :)

0 votes
David Beutel October 6, 2011

I just noticed that the Reset to Commit... is on the Log view's right-click menu too. I guess that's what I was looking for; I just didn't realize it meant checkout when I first saw that menu.

However, I still wonder how to checkout a file from that commit if it wasn't changed there and isn't already checked out.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events