• Community
  • Products
  • Sourcetree
  • Questions
  • how to avoid uncommited changes on files in repository (on a shared partition) that is managed by two different sourcetree installations (windows and OSX)?

how to avoid uncommited changes on files in repository (on a shared partition) that is managed by two different sourcetree installations (windows and OSX)?

maybites August 24, 2015

I am running a windows partition on my MacBook Pro and have my repository on a third partition (formated with exFAT).

I want do develop on the same code (mostly Java and MaxMSP) in my repository when running either windows or OSX and want to use sourceTree to manage the repository. It works, but whenever I make a commit from one side (i.e. OSX-Sourcetree) and switch over to the other (i.e. Windows-Sourcetree), all files inside my repository are marked as uncommited changes even though the individual diff shows no changes at all.

Any clues why this happens and/or do you have suggestions how to solve this issue?

3 answers

1 vote
Tim Crall
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 24, 2015

It could be a line-ending issue - how do you have your line-endings configured on the Windows side?

0 votes
maybites September 2, 2015

I couldnt find a simple fix so I setup a new repository (losing the previous change history), but before that I made sure both sourcetree instances use its internal git (I think the issue started with a git install on windows with a change of the default EOL settings during the installation process). now it works without a problem.

thank you for pointing me into the right direction.

0 votes
maybites August 25, 2015

you might be spot on, but so far I was unabe to fix it. I added a .gitattribute to the repository:

>

# Set the default behavior, in case people don't have core.autocrlf set.

* text eol=crlf

# Denote all files that are truly binary and should not be modified.

*.png binary

*.jpg binary

No newline at end of file

<

but this didnt help.

any suggestions on how to proceed?

Seth
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 25, 2015

The git EOL settings take effect when pushing and pulling, not just when checking your working copy for changes. You should check the EOL settings in your editing tools in both OSes.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events