Our company SVN is Mercurial. As our software consists of many modules we enjoy the subrepo feature of mercurial. every now and then I would like to add a Git repo as a subrepo in my projects. I have the Hg-Git extension installed on my machine. The problem is that other co-workers can't commit to this projects if they don't have hg-git installed. Does sourcetree support git subrepos natively?

1 answer

1 accepted

SourceTree doesn't require the Hg-Git extension to use git subrepos inside a hg repository (I have a few cases of this myself). Mecurial natively supports having git repositories as subrepositories, and this is how SourceTree supports them too. Using Hg-Git would turn the subrepo into a hg subrepo (but converted via Hg-Git to interop with remote git), which as you say would cause a problem for people without this extension. On the whole I think it's simpler just to use the git subrepo natively unless you have a good reason not to.

Hello Steve,

thanks for your answer. This is good news. I thought it would be much more complicated.

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Brian Ganninger
Published Jan 23, 2018 in Sourcetree

Tip from the team: workflow and keyboard shortcuts

Supported Platforms macOS Sourcetree has a lot to offer and, like many developer tools, finding and using it all can be a challenge, especially for a new user. Everyone might not love ...

269 views 0 3
Read article

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you
Atlassian Team Tour

Join us on the Team Tour

We're bringing product updates and pro tips on teamwork to ten cities around the world.

Save your spot