Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

git global config not working

Martin Holland July 13, 2013

If I create a new repo and attempt the first commit I get this error..

*** Please tell me who you are.

Run

git config --global user.email "you@example.com"

git config --global user.name "Your Name"

to set your account's default identity.

Omit --global to set the identity only in this repository.

however I know the global config is run, and even re-running those commands doesn't fix it. If I run

git config -l

I can see my email and name is already set ok.

It does work though if I omit the --global param and therefore set my email and name explicity for the current repository. So i have to do that every time I create a new repo for it to work.

Am new to git so may have this wrong but assumed that it should be able to pick up the global settings so I don't have to re-tell it my email and name for each repo?

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Martin Holland July 13, 2013

FYI I fixed this in the end by changing my HOME environment variable. It was set to %UserProfile% which I assume git doesn't like so I changed it to explicity say C:\Users\Martin and then it all worked

KieranA
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 14, 2013

Thanks for the information, Martin. You may not have been running the same Git instance as the version you use at the command line. As we run Git in a separate process it doesn't honour environment variables like that. I haven't got an instance of the Windows version but I presume there'd be a preference which allows SourceTree to modify your Git/Mercurial settings which may not be set. You can also set your user information (e-mail/username) in there too, usually.

Glad you've got it working otherwise.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events