fatal: Unable to create '...index.lock': Permission denied

hi, i'm trying to use sourcetree to manage my local mamp pro site. so with git and sourcetree installed i use my local development directory as a workging-directory. when i try to check unstaged file i get this error:

fatal: Unable to create 'developmentsite.dev/.git/index.lock': Permission denied

i check the permision on this directory and the mac user (me) and _www user (mamp pro) can write and read on this directory.

so what can i do to resolve the problem?

3 answers

I was having same issue. try to execute commands as root user. When I tried git checkout it was not working. But when I used it with sudo it worked!

On the web the issue is that index.lock is still exist. My problem is that i can't create this file for a permission issue.

On the web the issue is that index.lock is still exist. My problem is that i can't create this file for a permission issue.

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Brian Ganninger
Published Jan 23, 2018 in Sourcetree

Tip from the team: workflow and keyboard shortcuts

Supported Platforms macOS Sourcetree has a lot to offer and, like many developer tools, finding and using it all can be a challenge, especially for a new user. Everyone might not love ...

242 views 0 3
Read article

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you
Atlassian Team Tour

Join us on the Team Tour

We're bringing product updates and pro tips on teamwork to ten cities around the world.

Save your spot