diffing old commits only shows last file

Giles Velarde March 25, 2013

Hi,

I am using SourceTree on OSX (10.7.3) and recently spotted a change in behaviour. It may have been around the time I moved SourceTree to use a system git (git version 1.8.1). To complicate things I am using it as a client to an SVN repo (which works really well).

Anyway, if I look on the command line at the diff between two commits e.g.

$ git diff 6b15e480047fad4c0c3cde6348628264981c2c5a 468c53004f90a7d05fa788dd1e5c26c60bafd788

I can see several files listed. Selecting an old commit in SourceTree used to do the same thing, but now only shows the last file that I can see in the diff.

I have tried going back to using the embedded git, but this doed not seem to fix it.

I may try doing a fresh clone, but have been avoiding trying this because of the relative slowness of the initial export from svn.

Thank you.

4 answers

1 accepted

7 votes
Answer accepted
KieranA
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 26, 2013

Hi Giles,

It sounds to me similar to what some other users in the past have done where they've changed the size of their file/diff pane in SourceTree so that they can't see the files. By default it selects the first file in the list rather than all the files. Check out the screenshot below to see what your view should look like:

To fix this, you should hover your cursor over the left edge of the diff view. It might be difficult to grab because you've got the tree view resizer and then you may have the ability to resize the diff view.

Hope that helps

Giles Velarde March 26, 2013

That's fixed it thanks! And yes it's hard to grab and really not obvious that this is where one should grab. Perhaps an item in the view menu to restore it if completely hidden might help? (that's the first place I tried after failing various grab operations originally - before I posted the question)

KieranA
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 26, 2013

Hi Giles. I've filed an issue for you here: https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/SRCTREE-1499

Giles Velarde March 27, 2013

Looks great. Thanks!

Nick Sophinos May 24, 2013

Man, that issue made using SourceTree very difficult to use for the last month or so. Thanks for the answer. SourceTree might need a "Reset Perspective" menu option like Eclipse where one can bring it back to the original view defaults when things get messed up.

Nick Sophinos May 24, 2013

Man, that issue made using SourceTree very difficult to use for the last month or so. Thanks for the answer. SourceTree might need a "Reset Perspective" menu option like Eclipse where one can bring it back to the original view defaults when things get messed up.

Matthew Setter March 25, 2014

Kieran, thanks for the tip. I'd somehow minimised the files pane so that I couldn't see it. Your tip was spot on and now I can see all files in a commit.

Mark Chitty October 6, 2016

OMG, I just spent half an hour swearing at Sourcetree, Google, my innocent co-workers, trying to solve this issue. I even hovered over the left edge 3 times before I - briefly - saw the resize cursor. Please please add a small bar to the UI when the file list is collapsed so that you know it even exists to un-collapse it.

Tx for the help here. Phew. I can actually get on with something useful now.

tarling October 31, 2016

Thanks for the answer. +1 for some sort of Reset View command

0 votes
rasikaconsulting October 5, 2013

I had another variation on this problem: I had minimized the file listing vertically (and pushed it all the way to the bottom), so I could see only the commit summary and a single file diff. Also very hard to find the right place to drag up and restore the pane.

0 votes
Lance Parker July 11, 2013

This was my problem too!

0 votes
Giles Velarde March 25, 2013

Was just reminded of why I moved to using a system git:

git -c diff.mnemonicprefix=false -c core.quotepath=false svn rebase

Can't locate object method "path" via package "Git::SVN" at /usr/local/git/lib/perl5/site_perl/Git/SVN/Ra.pm line 338.

Completed with errors, see above

I know this issue was addressed in other posts.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events