Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

diff against current - nothing happens

Johan_T September 25, 2015

So I am on the master branch and choose to "Diff Against Current" on another branch but nothing happens. It does work on other branches and I am 100% sure these two branches which does not work are not identical.

3 answers

3 votes
Ravi Malalasekera March 2, 2016

I had a similar issue (symptoms at least) where a "Diff against current" was not doing anything.

Found out that I had not selected "All Branches" in the top window. When selected, it worked fine.

Petrus November 26, 2019

I'm experiencing exactly the same behaviour despite having "All branches" selected. I have tried with both FileMerge and Kdiff3.

2 votes
Nirmal Shankar September 26, 2015

May be in the terminal you can try this command to make sure that there are differences actually. git diff master...your_branch_name (where your_branch_name is the name of your branch)

Seth
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 28, 2015

Great troubleshooting suggestion!

Johan_T September 28, 2015

I have committed and pushed changes in the same file to both branches and as I check out the other branch I can see with my eyes that they do differ. Therese a lot of obvious differences and doing a git diff will print me the changes. It's only in sourcetree where it doesn't work.

Seth
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 28, 2015

Hmm, do you have any text in the search box that's in the bar between the graph pane and the diff pane?

0 votes
Seth
Rising Star
Rising Star
September 25, 2015

The most likely explanation is that the branches aren't different. (No offense: I don't know you or the situation with your branches, so I don't know how reliable your claim of 100% certainty is. Another recent question was 100% sure there weren't whitespace differences, then found whitespace differences.)

One way to confirm the branches aren't identical (and see a diff) is to merge them. The resulting merge commit will include all the changes from one branch to the other. I would recommend selecting the "force new commit (no fast-forward)" option in this particular situation, and make sure you do NOT push the merge so you have the option to safely reset your branch to the pre-merge commit.

If the merge results in a commit with changes, as you expect, take some screenshots and submit a bug report, because what you describe (if accurate) definitely sounds like a bug, not a user error or configuration problem. Bug reports go to jira.atlassian.com.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events