compare branch to master

how can i compare two branches. lets say my working dev-branch to master or master to origin/master.

i can do this with git command line but how can this be done with sourctree. is it possible to have this in also an external diff tool? filemerge can handle a "directory diff".

i sometimes want to have the external diff to view the complete file and not only the "differences"

markus

2 answers

Use control-click or command-click to select any two commits (so both are highlighted at the same time)

The window in the lower left shows you a list of all files that were different (added, deleted, or modified)

You can select a file from that list to see the specific changes in that file between the two selected commits.source_tree_diff.png

You can also configure a third party diff tool, but the built-in functionality has met my needs so I don't have any experience with that.

You can select 2 commits (cmd click) and compare in sourcetree. to compare 2 branches select the tip of the branches in log view , you can do the same for local and origin too.

But I usually use terminal since it is easier .

Suggest an answer

How to earn badges on the Atlassian Community

How to earn badges on the Atlassian Community

Badges are a great way to show off community activity, whether you’re a newbie or a Champion.

Learn more
Community showcase
Published May 11, 2018 in Sourcetree

Tip from the team: debugging Sourcetree

Supported Platforms macOS Windows If you're reading this and it's not just educational… we know you're unhappy right now and apologize for that   We're dedicated to improving yo...

114 views 0 5
Read article

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you