change default open application in sourcetree

vinu76jsr April 3, 2012

when I click on open in sourcetree it opens the file in default applicaiton associated with file extension however I want it to open in sublimetext editor, is there a way to configure this.

5 answers

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Dennis Kromhout van der Meer
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 3, 2012

OSX can be finicky in this sometimes. The best thing to do is right click on the filetype you want to change, choose Open With and set the right app, and then click Change All... which makes it stick for all files with the same filetype.

vinu76jsr April 3, 2012

this is the defualt behaviour , however I am looking for a config in sourcetreeapp which allows this to happen when app is opened via sourcetree.

stevestreeting
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 3, 2012

'Open With' isn't available as an option right now. I have it on my list, but it's not implemented yet because in fact the new Mac App Store rules that Apple are introducing say you're not allowed to do it, and indeed the Sandbox blocks access to any 'open' command which specifies an app, rather than letting the Finder default take effect.

Our current opinion is that other issues with the Sandbox mean that we will probably stop updating the App Store once Apple require it, but they've pushed the deadline back a bit so we're waiting to see what they do. If it's still unworkable then we'll officially discount updating the app store anymore and then we'll be able to implement things like this.

Roger Erens August 15, 2012

Any news on this?

For html files, I also would like to have an 'Open with' or 'Edit' menu option to start up an editor, whereas the reguler 'Open' action would indeed open a browser in order to preview the file in case.

stevestreeting
Rising Star
Rising Star
August 15, 2012

I've logged this here: https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/SRCTREE-1168 - while we're now not planning to play by the App Store rules any more, adding anything new that we know is frowned upon by Apple will have to be weighed up.

6 votes
ajkarikari_knowit June 4, 2018

I'll share an update on how to solve this problem. Sourcetree seems to use OSX's default app config so its just a matter of right clicking a file and choosing Get info (cmd+i) and finding the Open with section.

NOTE:

The previous accepted solution where you right click the file and choose Open with will not set default app for all instances of filetype. It will only apply to the selected file. 

3 votes
SPence September 8, 2013

Any status on this issue

2 votes
MichaelGossman April 11, 2019

So it's been 7 years... Anyone gotten around to this by any chance?

EDIT: Custom Actions make this pretty easy to set up. https://stackoverflow.com/questions/20309879/how-to-set-default-file-viewer-in-sourcetree

jagcancer2 November 6, 2019

7 years? About right for Atlassian. :)

This also happens in Windows.

BTW, the custom action works - but is not available in the log window. I want to open a cshtml file? It passes it to windows that decides to open it using the oldest, unlicensed version of VS  I have installed. And 'cos it's unlicensed it closes straight away.

So in my particular instance it makes the log view mostly useless. Why it lets the OS decide what to do is beyond me. There should be an override.

Like AdvAppSw likes this
dave-walker-pace November 26, 2019

Custom actions only allows the use of the current version.  I'd like to open a previous version selected in the log view.  Daft that this is not an option.

Like AdvAppSw likes this
AdvAppSw April 25, 2020

Silly they didn't add the custom action to the context menu in the Log viewer.

I did find a workaround (I'm on Windows but may work on Mac) using a custom action:  Right-click the file and select "Log Selected".  Locate the commit you want to view and right-click and select "View in Full Log".  Once there, you can again right-click and select the custom action to open the file.  Round about but it did work for me.

Another option is taking the "Annotate Selected..." option from the context menu in the Log Viewer.  This brings up a window containing the text of the file.  Stupidly, I can select all but it only copies the current line.  But at least the text is visible.

0 votes
Seohyun December 19, 2019

I couldn't solve this problem on Sourcetree setting. I've solved by another solution. Search on google "how to set default open with on mac".

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events