It's not the same without you

Join the community to find out what other Atlassian users are discussing, debating and creating.

Atlassian Community Hero Image Collage

cannot lock ref 'HEAD': Unable to create 'HEAD.lock': File exists Edited

Hi,

I have a problem with all my repos in Sourcetree.

When I try to push something for the first time it works. After that the file: HEAD.lock remains inside the folder and Sourcetree wont delete it. From now on I can not push neither do anything else. I will always get the following error:

"remote: error: cannot lock ref 'HEAD': Unable to create '.../HEAD.lock': File exists."

I manually have to delete the "HEAD.lock" file to solve this problem and push 1 more time.

Any suggestions?

1 answer

0 votes
minnsey Atlassian Team Jul 03, 2018

Hi

I think this is a Git issue rather than Sourcetree directly, though I might be proven wrong.

Do you get the same behaviour if yo use the got command line?

You are right I get the same error if I use the command line:

warning: unable to unlink 'W:/TestRepo.git/./HEAD.lock': Invalid argument

The problem was my git version. I downgraded git and now everything is working like before.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
Community showcase
Published in Sourcetree

Sourcetree for Windows - CVE-2019-11582 - Remote Code Execution vulnerability

A vulnerability has been published today in regards to Sourcetree for Windows.  The goal of this article is to give you a summary of information we have gathered from Atlassian Community as a st...

4,955 views 0 12
Read article

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you