Missed Team ’24? Catch up on announcements here.

Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

askpass.exe - what's that??

xdev November 13, 2020

Unbenannt.jpg

2 answers

0 votes
Georgi Angelov
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
February 9, 2022

I had the same issue after upgrading to 3.3.8

It was resolved after deleting some old accounts and edit the other ones under Tools >> Options >> Accounts

At the same time all my checked out repositories were showing a red exclamation mark on the "Remote" icon.  Clicking on Remote was trowing an error from winscp "Putty.exe not found".
So I installed putty but without success.  The exclamation mark was still there and clicking on the icon was now trowing 'Server refused to start a shell/command'.

Next thing I tried was to do a new Clone and that was working.  So I compared the "Remote Account" settings under Settings >>  Remotes >> origin >> Edit and it seems that for my previously cloned repositories this settings were not correct anymore after the upgrade.  Changing them solved the issue with the Remote.  Clicking on Remote was sending me now to the right repository location in a browser.

0 votes
Daniel Ebers
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 13, 2020

Hi xdev,

askpass.exe is a legitimate part of SourceTree.

Its function is to provide a graphical interface to allow SSH via Git to ask for a username's password to access their SSH key. For doing this it uses the variable called SSH_ASKPASS.

From the message it looks like the file would be damaged on your system or blocked by a virus scanner or similar. The specific reason is hard to tell from here, though.

Cheers,
Daniel

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events