Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

add a local git repo in SourceTree

Rafael Carrascal Reyes February 29, 2012

Hi. I have a local workspace with some projects, sincronized with a remote git repo. ¿How to add the existing working copy (git local repository) to SourceTree?

3 answers

1 accepted

9 votes
Answer accepted
stevestreeting
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 29, 2012

Lots of ways! :)

1. Drag & drop the folder from Finder into the Bookmarks window to add it to your bookmarks
  2. Drag & drop the folder onto your dock icon
  3. File > Open (Cmd-O) and browse to the path
  4. Click 'Add Repository' on the bookmarks window, select the 'Add Working Copy' tab and browse to the local repo

Paul Wehr July 29, 2021

I was confused for a while (neophyte!) I wanted to add the hidden .git directory or one of the sub files/directories but it was the parent directory where the .git file was located.

All is good to go after migrating to a newer computer. Thanks for the direction and hints.

0 votes
gbosio April 15, 2013

Hello,
I have a problem with local repo: if I add a repository with "Add Working Copy" it seems to be ok, SourceTree tells me that it a git repository, but when I open it I have this error: "'git status' failed with code 128:'fatal: Not a git repository (or any of the parent directories): .git".

What can I do?

stevestreeting
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 15, 2013

The check when you provide a path to add as a working copy is actually quite rudimentary, it just checks for the presence of the .git folder. If git is failing when it's added and *real* git commands start being called on it, that means that the .git folder is a red herring and that it really isn't a git repo after all.

0 votes
Rafael Carrascal Reyes February 29, 2012

Yeah, very intuitive. I could find the way just five after doing the question. Thanks!.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events