Why was the commit icon changed from the ring?

Did someone lack a sense of humor?  It made me smile almost daily.  It's admittedly a small thing, but the new icon feels stodgy and really generic. :-/

1 answer

If that's your perspective, then yes, many people lacked a sense of humor. When people complained about the new icons, I saw frequent mentions of "why does the commit icon look like ring"? Atlassian staff must've finally got fed up with it.

Personally, I've never really cared. It says "Commit" underneath, so that makes it perfectly clear to me what the button does, and after 2-3 days of use, I just instinctively know where the Commit icon is, regardless of whether the image seems to have any real meaning behind it.

Hah, funny that there were so many complaints (though I suppose I am now amongst those who would complain about an icon).  I agree that in this case the icon itself makes little difference to usability, which is why I enjoyed the little visual pun, while it lasted.

Suggest an answer

How to earn badges on the Atlassian Community

How to earn badges on the Atlassian Community

Badges are a great way to show off community activity, whether you’re a newbie or a Champion.

Learn more
Community showcase
Published May 30, 2018 in Sourcetree

Tip from the team: configuring Git or Mercurial in Sourcetree

Supported Platforms macOS Windows To make using Sourcetree as simple yet powerful as possible we embed (bundle) dependencies such as Git, Git LFS, and Mercurial. We strive to keep these...

541 views 1 2
Read article

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you