Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why isn't the sourcetree installer making start menu folders or convenient short cuts?

Shawn D. Fox September 12, 2018

Years ago when I last used source tree it would install a desktop shortcut and create a start menu folder.  Now after installing it, it is very difficult to find the executable so that I can make my own short cuts.  Why has the installer changed the location where sourcetree.exe is placed, and why is it no longer providing those convenient options to make the shortcuts and start menu folder?

I'm running on windows 10 64 bit.

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Mikael Sandberg
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 12, 2018

Hi Shawn,

Welcome to the Atlassian Community.

The installer changed when they released version 2 and is now installed under your Windows user profile, the main reason was put it there was so you do not require local Admin permission to do the install. Sourcetree now comes as an Enterprise version where you can select where it is installed. Take a look at Sourcetree for Windows Enterprise for more information.

Mikael Sandberg
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 12, 2018

Also, you should have a shortcut to it under Atlassian on the start menu, at least I do and I have not created it manually.

Shawn D. Fox September 14, 2018

You're right.  I do.  However Windows installers typically ask you about that in case you want to specify the location of the start menu folder.  Since the installer never told me it was going to put it there I did not know where to look.  The last time I had installed it, the installation process was very different.  Thanks for the tip.

Shawn D. Fox September 14, 2018

The enterprise software description is a bit confusing.  It looks to be aimed at IT pros, not at the typical developer.  Are you saying that anyone can download the enterprise version and install that instead of using the other installer?

Mikael Sandberg
Community Leader
Community Leader
September 14, 2018

Yes, anyone can download and install the enterprise version. It was created as an alternative when they switched to the new installer because it required you to have an internet connection in order to complete the install.

Harry Caskey December 14, 2018

@Mikael Sandberg / @Shawn D. Fox

We looking to deploy the latest version of Sourcetree 3.0.8, but it looks like this is still a bug.  We are using SCCM to deploy the install, but the MSI does not create the shortcuts after being installed. 

We can script the installer to manually create shortcuts, but would prefer the MSI to work properly and create these shortcuts.

For reference, our install string is:
msiexec.exe /i SourcetreeEnterpriseSetup_3.0.8.msi ACCEPTEULA=1 /qn

Like miau likes this
Ptero_Bacter May 20, 2020

I just had almost exactly the same problem (except not even having a Start folder under Atlassian). It was really weird as I have run the installer twice (first it failed with some bug) and then I have downloaded it again from the same (!) website and it looked differently for some reason (asked for different stuff during the installation process - I guess it saved some of the information in preferences somewhere but not sure where as it was the same even after deleting the AppData\Local Attlassian and SourceTree folders) but still had not created the start folder (and then just running the setup actually launched the SourceTree app from the AppData location).  Thankfully, I have found this thread and used the enterprise edition but I did found it a bit annoying as I don't really see the need for two different installers instead of one with the more options (I did install the SourceTree half a year ago and had not such problems - I guess I have stumbled upon the enterprise installer on the first attempt).  And even the Enterprise installer did not create the Start folders but since it is in ProgramFiles the Win + S finds it pretty quickly which is good enough for me - but still a bit annoying.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events