Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why is sourceTree showing changes when there are none?

SgtPooki January 28, 2014

SourceTree is consistently incorrect with regard to my working copy changes.

Cygwin will correctly show: "nothing to commit (working directory clean)"

But SourceTree will show seemingly random files (sometimes they are my last commited files) as modified, with mode 100755 -> 100644.

Is sourcetree attempting to change the modes of these files itself? Why? Stop it.

How do I get sourcetree to not be annoying?

Thanks!

-The guy who reverted back to CLI, despite sourcetree's pretty git commit history graphics, because it does too many magics that break stuff.

4 answers

1 vote
Hassen Charef November 21, 2017

SourceTree still shows me files with that message, those files have not been changed.

For example: My LESS files are compiled to CSS, even if they are just recompiled, sourceTree still shows them to me.

We need an option to hide those files if no changes have been detected.

Matthew Lawrence May 8, 2018

agreed

Abhishek Jindal August 29, 2018

Still can't find any solution to this problem , i tried changing SHOW WHITESPACE to IGNORE WHITESPACE but that does not do anything.... 

1 vote
Kirill Khazan October 16, 2014

It looks like I found a way to fix this problem: go to Tools -> Options -> Git -> press Use System Git. Upon refresh, SourceTree no longer showed the files in question as changed.

Todd Benham November 15, 2018

Apparently this is not an option anymore.

Seth November 19, 2018

@Todd Benham - Could you clarify? I still see the option:image.pngMaybe a difference between Windows and Mac? My screenshot is Windows.

Todd Benham November 19, 2018

Oh geez, thanks for that clarification, I was looking for literally "Use System Git" not just System under Git Version.

1 vote
Seth
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 28, 2014

From my experience, Git doesn't pay attention to file permissions on the working copy. You have to explicitly modify permissions on the index, which is annoying if you have shell scripts in version control that need the executable bit set.

It's possible that SourceTree has a "feature" to detect permissions changes on the working copy and make the index changes for you as though they are a standard commit.

100755 -> 100644 implies that the executable bit has been un-set. This seems possible to be the behavior of your editor, combined with the fact that Git CLI ignores that particular type of change.

Of course, I use SourceTree on windows, so my file permissions system is not translatable to *nix permission bits, so I can't have this problem. It could be SourceTree, I suppose.

SgtPooki January 29, 2014

It appears that git actually recognizes these changes by default(core.fileMode=true) - https://www.kernel.org/pub/software/scm/git/docs/v1.7.10.1/git-config.html

However, the documentation states that cloning or init-ing a repo can cause it to set core.fileMode to false.. but not exactly under what circumstances it makes this change.

I'll have to double check and see what my git config looks like for that project tomorrow..

Stanley Kurdziel January 23, 2016

+1 git config core.fileMode false

This didn't actually change my git status output from the command line, but did change the results in sourcetree

Like # people like this
iSlash LT March 28, 2019

git config --global core.fileMode false

Like # people like this
Donatien RIVIERE May 31, 2021

Note that setting it at global level might not be enough, if the local config overrides the `core.fileMode` property to true.

However, that's the preferred approach as it's more a system related setting.

0 votes
aaron perez May 17, 2016

Sometime SourceTree detects changes when there are space blanks (ejem: indentation spaces), but does not display the change log, only just send alert that there are changes.

Seth
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 18, 2016

Yes, this is expected behavior if you have your diff options set to "Ignore Whitespace".

Like BERDJEGHLOUL Adel likes this

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events