Why is "Enable GPG key signing for commit" is greyed out?

Pretty straight forward. Why is this checkbox greyed out?Screen Shot 2016-10-30 at 5.00.28 PM.png

3 answers

I had this problem after I had installed gpg through Homebrew first, and then uninstalled it to use MacGPG instead.

I solved it by going to Sourcetree > Preferences > Advanced, then for GPG Program I clicked Browse and selected /usr/local/MacGPG2/bin. After that, I was able to enable GPG signing on a repository.

I was able to make it work with Homebrew. You need to create a symlink gpg2 -> gpg under `/usr/local/bin` and after that you can select `/usr/local/bin` as GPG Program path under Sourcetree -> Preferences -> Advanced

I did. Do I have to update the GPG Program in my settings to point to GPG Tools?

Screen Shot 2016-10-31 at 2.30.56 PM.png

Possibly. Did you install the tools to a different location?

I picked the default location. Looks like it put it in my Applications dir.

Turns out I had installed GPG tools, it said it had a key in the control panel thingy so I figured it was cool beans... but it turns out I didn't have a private key yet. So I clicked new, entered a password, jigged my mouse and keyboard some and it all came good.

Obvious. Yes.

I already had a private key generated, but I had to restart SourceTree for it to pick up that change. Worked fine after that.

Suggest an answer

How to earn badges on the Atlassian Community

How to earn badges on the Atlassian Community

Badges are a great way to show off community activity, whether you’re a newbie or a Champion.

Learn more
Community showcase
Published May 30, 2018 in Sourcetree

Tip from the team: configuring Git or Mercurial in Sourcetree

Supported Platforms macOS Windows To make using Sourcetree as simple yet powerful as possible we embed (bundle) dependencies such as Git, Git LFS, and Mercurial. We strive to keep these...

559 views 1 2
Read article

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you