Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why is my new branch not actually a branch?

Jim Constant September 29, 2017

When I create a new branch, Sourcetree doesn't seem to be creating an actual branch. To illustrate, I started on my 'develop' branch, clicked 'Branch' and named it 'test_branch', and when I clicked 'Create Branch' it just added the 'test_branch' icon next to 'master' and 'develop':

sourcetree.png

Not long ago, it was branching properly so if I created a new branch the tree looked like this:

branch.png

I think somewhere along the way I messed up my 'master' branch. Does anybody have an idea of what could be wrong and how to fix this?

Thanks!

1 answer

0 votes
minnsey
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
October 2, 2017

I think what you are seeing is correct.

When you first create the new branch 'test_branch' its HEAD simply points to the saem ref.commit as the HEAD of master and develop branches.

Only once you start making new commits to 'test_branch' will the HEADs diverge and the labels separate.

Likewise you will only get a side-by-side visualization of your branch and master, for example, once mast has new commits created after the branch point.

Jim Constant October 2, 2017

Michael, I think you're correct. I kept researching this and found some answers here: https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Sourcetree-questions/How-to-read-the-Graph-in-SourceTree-part-2/qaq-p/165698/jump-to/first-unread-message

It turns out those colored lines aren't branches. They represent the lineage of commits and that's critical to understanding what you're looking at.

Thanks for your thoughts.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events