Why is my Resolve Conflict option grayed out

I am trying to push my code into my created branch. Before doing "Push changes immediately to origin/freature/xxx", I think I need to "Resolve Conflicts" by using such as "Using theirs" or "Using mine". But all these options are grayed out when I right-clicked the file and tried to do Resolve Conflicts option.

Can you shed some light?

1 answer

1 accepted

Resolve conflicts is only used in one situation: You've performed a merge, and SourceTree has notified you that conflicts arose during the merge that couldn't be resolved automatically. A conflict is usually a situation where the same portion of a file was edited differently in the two branches that are being merged.

What makes you think you need to be resolving conflicts?

Seth,

Thank you for your answers.

I am fresh to the SourceTree and using the version control software such as GIT.

My original plan was to send out "Pull Request" but curious about how to resolve conflicts. Now, it seems that I should worry about "Resolve Conflicts" when I try to merge my modified code into the "master".

So, now I guess my question has been changed to "how to merge the master code into my modified code in the sourcetree then I can resolve the conflicts"?

Thanks, again!

If you are new to Git, you should read relevant portions of the Git Book: https://git-scm.com/book

I recommend you focus on 1.1 through 1.3, and chapters 2 and 3. Once you understand the basics of how git works, the SourceTree UI is very easy to use.

Suggest an answer

Atlassian Community Anniversary

Happy Anniversary, Atlassian Community!

This community is celebrating its one-year anniversary and Atlassian co-founder Mike Cannon-Brookes has all the feels.

Read more
Community showcase
Brian Ganninger
Published Jan 23, 2018 in Sourcetree

Tip from the team: workflow and keyboard shortcuts

Supported Platforms macOS Sourcetree has a lot to offer and, like many developer tools, finding and using it all can be a challenge, especially for a new user. Everyone might not love ...

649 views 0 4
Read article

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you