Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why is SourceTree constantly asking me for my "User Information" during a commit?

Patrick Morris March 11, 2019

Been using ST for months. However, as of this morning I cannot commit anything. Clicking Commit puts me in a loop of dealing with this odd dialog box. Entering any info here and clicking OK just puts me back to where I was before I clicked Commit. It's a loop I cannot get beyond, as of today. 

What's going on here?  Anyone know? 

SourceTreeUserInfoMsg.png

1 answer

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
minnsey
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
March 19, 2019

Hi

I'm not sure exactly why this is happening but if you go into Tools/Options/General tab you can enter the same details there and it should then update git and hg configurations when you click OK.

If you do this, potentially by explicitly editing those values to something else, clicking OK and then editing them back and clicking OK again,  does that then stop the prompt?

Patrick Morris March 25, 2019

Thanks Michael. I tried playing with those settings a little, but it made no improvement. However, on the bright side, the ability to commit a change (no such weird message appearing) returned last week. All on its own. Weird. 

Dlawrence2060 March 5, 2020

If anyone else comes across this issue, unchecking the global option worked for me

Like # people like this
Brad Sherman April 27, 2020

I second unchecking the global option. Worked for me. 

Like # people like this
Todd Liveringhouse August 19, 2021

This tool is so buggy I wish we used something else.  Every so often I lose my ability to commit and use an external difference tool.  I have to change atlissan password fool around with authenticate and eventually it starts working again.

Bradley Pierskalla September 10, 2021

I second the second of unchecking the global option. That worked.

Joseph Wright December 10, 2021

I third unchecking the global option. I unchecked and then was able to commit.

Thomas Mehlan April 21, 2022

I had the same issue today. Checking or unchecking the "global" option didn't help. What worked for was to modify the name and address in the "Tools/Options/General" settings, click OK, and then change it back to the old values.

The reason may be that my git installation was updated yesterday to V2.35.3?

Steven Leathard December 22, 2023

Glad this thread was here, this happened to me.  Going into 2024 next week and this is still an issue apparently.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events