Why has Sourcetree become so dreadfully slow when executing git operations?

Hi,

I quite like working with SourceTree, however, recently it has become a major blocker for my work. Any operation that involves some kind of git operation seems to be very slow. Examples are: Staging files, making a commit, building the branch view etc. Often the progress icon will rotate for several minutes in the index panel after staging a file before I can continue to work. This leads to a frustrating user experience when trying to get my work done. I am on version 2.0.5.2 and Mac OS X Yosemite (10.10.3). 

Cheers,

Martin

j

2 answers

PS: This here is the message I keep getting when I try to run any other operation while the progress icon is showing:

git -c diff.mnemonicprefix=false -c core.quotepath=false -c credential.helper=sourcetree -c sequence.editor='/Applications/SourceTree.app/Contents/Resources/stree_gri' -c core.editor='/Applications/SourceTree.app/Contents/Resources/stree_gri' rebase --continue

fatal: Unable to create '/Users/marw/Documents/workspaceDev_fix/censhare-product/.git/index.lock': File exists.

If no other git process is currently running, this probably means a

git process crashed in this repository earlier. Make sure no other git

process is running and remove the file manually to continue.

Applying: <commit msg>

Completed with errors, see above

No anwers? Pity. I will resort back to command line then and start looking for a sourcetree alternative.

Suggest an answer

How to earn badges on the Atlassian Community

How to earn badges on the Atlassian Community

Badges are a great way to show off community activity, whether you’re a newbie or a Champion.

Learn more
Community showcase
Published May 30, 2018 in Sourcetree

Tip from the team: configuring Git or Mercurial in Sourcetree

Supported Platforms macOS Windows To make using Sourcetree as simple yet powerful as possible we embed (bundle) dependencies such as Git, Git LFS, and Mercurial. We strive to keep these...

573 views 1 2
Read article

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you