Why doesn't my git log/history update automatically? Edited

Hi,

I am running Sourcetree v2.3.1.0 on Windows 7.

I have this option configured in my settings:

20170919_153343.png

I thought this setting would cause my git log/history graph to update automatically and update the log with the latest commits that have been pushed to my remote repo. Instead, I find I have to press F5 or hit 'Fetch' for the log to show the latest commits.

20170919_155248.png

Is there a bug here? Or does this setting do something else that I'm not aware of? If it is the latter, what is it actually doing?

1 answer

0 vote
Jesse Yowell Atlassian Team Sep 19, 2017

There is no bug here -- Git doesn't automatically pull changes for you. That setting will alert you if there are changes on the server (so you can fetch/pull)

Due to the fact that changes can conflict, we aren't going to automatically pull them for you and possibly cause a conflict.

Thanks @Jesse Yowell - I understand that pulling commits will modify my local source, but I thought fetch didn't modify my local source, it only fetched the latest commits into my local git repository somewhere in my .git folder (which I could then choose to pull into my source).

I was expecting this setting to auto-fetch for me.

Jesse Yowell Atlassian Team Sep 20, 2017

@Joshua WilliamsGot it-- yeah. We won't auto-fetch for you. However, I thought this would be rather neat: https://stackoverflow.com/questions/10464039/git-automatic-fetching-from-remote-repositories

You could possibly set an alias to fetch the changes and check the status. Note: This won't check for conflicts!

Suggest an answer

Atlassian Community Anniversary

Happy Anniversary, Atlassian Community!

This community is celebrating its one-year anniversary and Atlassian co-founder Mike Cannon-Brookes has all the feels.

Read more
Community showcase
Brian Ganninger
Published Jan 23, 2018 in Sourcetree

Tip from the team: workflow and keyboard shortcuts

Supported Platforms macOS Sourcetree has a lot to offer and, like many developer tools, finding and using it all can be a challenge, especially for a new user. Everyone might not love ...

676 views 0 4
Read article

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you