Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why does SourceTree automatically update my ~/.gitconfig file

Ankush Agarwal July 20, 2014

Whenever I open SourceTree, it adds the following lines to my ~/.gitconfig file :

[difftool "sourcetree"]

cmd = opendiff \"$LOCAL\" \"$REMOTE\"

path =

[mergetool "sourcetree"]

cmd = /Applications/SourceTree.app/Contents/Resources/opendiff-w.sh \"$LOCAL\" \"$REMOTE\" -ancestor \"$BASE\" -merge \"$MERGED\"

trustExitCode = true

I don't want it to do that

1 answer

1 accepted

3 votes
Answer accepted
Balázs Szakmáry
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 20, 2014

In Tools/Options ("General" tab), on the top left, there is a checkbox: "Allow SourceTree to modify my global Git and Mercurial config files". If you uncheck this, it will stop doing it.

Ankush Agarwal July 20, 2014

Got it. Thanks!

Mateusz Loskot November 22, 2018

@Ankush Agarwalasked Why SourceTree modifies the file?

It would be good to understand why too, not just how to prevent it.

Like armujahid likes this
DragonFyre September 24, 2019

This seems to still be an issue or one that has resurfaced.  I have sourcetree version 3.2.6 and I have unchecked that option and every time I exit the options page it automatically updates my gitconfig to blank out the difftool and mergetool cmd lines even it I'm not on the diff option tab.  It only shows "system default" in the diff option tab, but it is not selectable to set it to my user installed preferred version of beyond compare (in appdata folder).

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events