Why does Source Tree keep asking for login/password for deleted account?

Source Tree for Windows 1.8.3 keeps asking for my github account login/password even after I removed Github account and all repositories from Source Tree. I can not find any reference to the deleted account in Source Tree settings. What should I do to stop the Authenticate window from popping up every minute?

4 answers

1 accepted

Found out the reason: Problem was that one of my repositories had multiple remotes one of which was GitHub. This repository was hidden by default, but it was bookmarked. Problem has been resolved after I removed this remote from the repository.

Are those credentials listed in Tools > Options > Authentication?

Hi Seth,

Thank you for the quick reply. No, this account is not listed in Authenticate options.

Hmm. Do you still have the repository on your computer, or has it been completely deleted?

Yes, I removed the repository completely from the disk.

Remove all other authentications section in sourcetree other than git hub.

Then click Add or either go to Hosted repositories(to quickly check if it was successful) and click on edit accounts.

In credentials select OAuth and select refresh token. You will be redirected to bitbucket website and click on Grant access.

Now goto your fresh account in sourcetree and select Set as Default.

Done. Now you should see all your repositories in hosted repositories. It shows login error if it is not successful

Thanks!  This solution worked for me.

Might not be related to the problem above, but for me, the solution was to add MagicPrefs to the Accessibility list in Privacy settings

Hope this helps someone or devs to figure out why it keeps popping up :)

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Brian Ganninger
Published Jan 23, 2018 in Sourcetree

Tip from the team: workflow and keyboard shortcuts

Supported Platforms macOS Sourcetree has a lot to offer and, like many developer tools, finding and using it all can be a challenge, especially for a new user. Everyone might not love ...

229 views 0 3
Read article

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you
Atlassian Team Tour

Join us on the Team Tour

We're bringing product updates and pro tips on teamwork to ten cities around the world.

Save your spot