Why am I getting "This is not a valid source path / url"

I know this question has come up, I have been reading threads for two days now, most of which pertain to remote repositories. 

I have inherited a SourceTree + Git setup from the previous support group.

• Source code located on  inhouse Linux Server
  • SourceTree installed on inhouse Windows Server 2012
  • SourceTree: I can see two repositories (I think they are copies).
  • LinuxServer: I searched for .git folders and found 6 of them
    • 4 of them are located in base folders for 4 instances of Source Code.
    • 2 of them seem to be Clones of 2 of the above.
  • SourceTree: If I try to Clone a repository and enter the path to any of the four source instances (including the 2 that seem to have clones already), I get the error message "This is not a valid source path / url"
  • SourceTree: If I try to Clone a repository and enter the path to the "clones", it recognizes them as GIT.  
  • LinuxServer: git status from the 4 Source Code folders returned a list of "Untracked files".
  • LinuxServer: git init from 1 of the Source Code folders returned "reinitialized existing Git repository in /foldername/.git
  • Linux Server git status from same Source Code Folder returned a large list of files in Changes to be committed, as well as the list of untracked files.
  • SourceTree: tried to clone repository that I ran git init from, receive same error: "This is not a valid source path / url"

Any help would be appreciated

1 answer

1 accepted

What I ended up doing was creating the clone from the Linux Host. Navigated to desired location and ran 
'git clone /absolutepath/existing_repo'

This allowed me to add existing repo (the clone I just made) to Source Tree without the error. (I did try adding the existing repo before creating a copy, and got the error)

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Brian Ganninger
Published Jan 23, 2018 in Sourcetree

Tip from the team: workflow and keyboard shortcuts

Supported Platforms macOS Sourcetree has a lot to offer and, like many developer tools, finding and using it all can be a challenge, especially for a new user. Everyone might not love ...

241 views 0 3
Read article

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you
Atlassian Team Tour

Join us on the Team Tour

We're bringing product updates and pro tips on teamwork to ten cities around the world.

Save your spot