Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why I get "Sourcetree for Windows is requesting access to the following: ..." message during login

Loredana
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
June 21, 2024

Hello,

I have a situation that I don't understand. When I want to login in browser to bitbucket from Visual Studio I get this in the browser:

image.png

Because I don't have Sourcetree installed what exactly does this grant?

Thank you,
Loredana

1 answer

1 vote
Ronaldponder
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
June 21, 2024

Hello,

When attempting to log in to Bitbucket from Visual Studio, you might see a message stating "Sourcetree for Windows is requesting access to the following: ...". This can be confusing if you do not have Sourcetree installed.

Explanation:

• OAuth Integration: Bitbucket uses OAuth for authentication. Sometimes, OAuth tokens are shared among various Atlassian products, which might include Sourcetree by default.
  • Visual Studio Plugin: The Bitbucket plugin or extension in Visual Studio may trigger a standard OAuth flow that includes permissions for Sourcetree, even if you don't use it.

Permissions Requested:

• The list of permissions typically includes access to account information, repositories, issues, project settings, pull requests, snippets, team membership, webhooks, and wikis. These permissions ensure the application can interact fully with your Bitbucket account, including potentially integrating with tasks such as managing social media tasks related to your projects.

Recommendations:

1. Verify Source: Confirm that the login request is coming from the legitimate Visual Studio Bitbucket plugin.
  2. Review Permissions: Carefully read the permissions being requested. They should align with the necessary operations for repository management.

Granting these permissions is generally safe if you trust the application requesting access. If you need further clarification, feel free to reach out.

Best regards

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events