Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Where do Sourcetree repo avatars come from?

cableraywire December 19, 2018

There is a "Refresh Avatars" option in the bookmarks window. I assume that would pull avatars from somewhere, like perhaps GitLab (which has project avatars). How exactly does Sourcetree determine those avatars, and can I customize them?

1 answer

3 votes
bgannin
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
December 19, 2018

Hi Garrett,

They are pulled from a remote service if it supports them. In the case of GitLab, we are looking for the "avatar_url" that's returned. If an icon isn't found in the cache, and doesn't return from the server, Sourcetree then looks for an in-repo icon that matches the following:

• name is "icon" or "logo"
  • filetype is tiff, png, jpg, gif, or icns

Hope that helps.

Brian Ganninger
Senior Mac Developer, Sourcetree

Dominick Sidiropoulos April 7, 2019

Has this feature been abandoned or does it work only in mac os?  I'm placing a logo.png icon in the root folder of a repo (haven't committed it though) and sourcetree doesn't employ it as an avatar. What gives?

bgannin
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
April 17, 2019

It's not currently supported by Windows but we do have it on the list.

Bahman Engheta May 28, 2019

Hi @bgannin

My profile image from GitLab shows up correctly in the Preferences | Accounts list, but anywhere else in Sourcetree a generic geometric shape is displayed. 

Any idea why? 

macOS 10.14.5
Sourcetree 3.1.2 (216)

Like Bo Roth likes this
bgannin
Atlassian Team
May 31, 2019

Hi @Bahman Engheta,

Commit icons are driven by Gravatar, not hosting service account avatars. Having this as a fallback when that's unavailable for any reason is a great request to file in our public trackers (Mac, Windows) for us to get it on the roadmap. Thanks for the feedback.

Brian Ganninger
Principal Developer, Sourcetree

Like Steffen Opel _Utoolity_ likes this
RunesReader September 15, 2019

Hello, @bgannin !

What size of this logo image should be?

LucasLarson October 26, 2020

What size of this logo image should be?

The two repositories I happened to see this feature on had a 128 × 128 PNG in their root folder. One was `Icon.png`; the other `icon.png`.

Like RunesReader likes this

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events