• Give kudos
  • Received
  • Given

Leaderboard

• Global

Trophy case

Kudos (beta program)

Kudos logo

You've been invited into the Kudos (beta program) private group. Chat with others in the program, or give feedback to Atlassian.

View group

It's not the same without you

Join the community to find out what other Atlassian users are discussing, debating and creating.

Atlassian Community Hero Image Collage

What is the purpose of creating a remote git branch from JIRA?

I noticed in JIRA you can create a remote git branch for your BitBucket repository.  I did this, however, I don't fully understand why I would want to do it.

For example, now when I return to my local source code and try to check out the remote branch I get a warning about having a detached head:

You are in 'detached HEAD' state. You can look around, make experimental changes and commit them, and you can discard any commits you make in this state without impacting any branches by performing another checkout.

If you want to create a new branch to retain commits you create, you may do so (now or later) by using -b with the checkout command again. Example:

git checkout -b <new-branch-name>

So does this mean I'll have troubles committing my changes to the branch and merging to master?

I can also checkout the remote branch under a different local name. JetBrain's IDE had this option.  But here again, I'm not sure if this will cause problems committing and merging.

I'm coming from GitHub where I'm used to just creating my branches on local, committing them, pushing them, and then merging with master on GitHub.com.

What's the benefit to creating the remote branch? What's the workflow?

1 answer

You generally clone a repo, and work and test code in a local branch before merging it back, either as a release branch or back to master.

Check out this guide: http://rogerdudler.github.io/git-guide/

Sure, that's the way I've worked with git for the past 7+ years.

I was just wondering what the purpose of creating a remote branch from JIRA is?  It seems like it causes more trouble.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
Community showcase
Posted in Sourcetree

[dev team] Sourcetree for Windows 2019 Preview - Dark Theme

Hi folks, While the full post is over on our blog I'd like to share the dark theme we've got planned for 2019 here directly as well to keep the discussion going.  The ...

3,202 views 19 18
Join discussion

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you