What is going on with SourceTree and Windows 10

Dave klotzbach October 4, 2018

I am trying to install Source Tree on a new Windows 10 computer. Everything appears to be going ok until I get the "licensing" step. I am asked to login using my Bitbucket Account or my Atlassian account. 

If I chose Bitbucket account, I am totally unable to find a URI string that works. I have used the suggested format that I found on line but all of them are rejected for reasons related to the URI. I originally had a the Bitbucket account for evaluating SourceTree for the team I was on. I haven't used Bitbucket for over 5 years, since I have retired andI don't do any development that is worth sharing. 

If I chose Atlassian account I get a large UI box complaining that JavaScript has not been enable. However, JavaScript is enabled on my machine and in Chrome and Edge.

I thought SourceTree was supposed to be free for hobby developers. It isn't free if you can't get it to work.

1 answer

0 votes
Ana Retamal
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
October 4, 2018

Hi Dave!

When you're registering Sourcetree, you need to pay attention to something: you're asked to log in Using your Bitbucket Server account or your Atlassian account (in the case you're not a Bitbucket Server user; so if you use Bitbucket Cloud, Github or any other service, you should select this option).

The javascript message that you mentioned is related to your browser and most likely caused by your current security settings. Sourcetree for Windows relies on Internet Explorer for the authentication step, please confirm you've followed all the steps in the article How to enable Javascript in Windows? You can also try adding that website to Trusted sites and see if that error goes away.

Sourcetree is a product we offer for free for any kind of developers, hobby or professional. Not being able to make it work doesn't mean it's not free, it just means maybe you need a little help ;) 

Let us know how it goes!

Cheers,

Ana

Dave klotzbach October 8, 2018
  1. I was not able to make the recommended solution work. No matter what I entered for the URL I got a failed to authenticate. I either got an error message about the extended URL requesting a REST response or one about not found. So as far as I can see, that one does not work. Maybe an example of how the URL is to be formed is in order. Just so a retired software engineer with only 40+ years of experience can figure out what you re looking for.
  2. As for using the Atlassian approach, when I finally decided to reduce my internet security by allowing scripting, I was able to get to the login portion of the Atlassian approach.  I have now been waiting 15 min for the login process to succeed. 

At this point I do not think the problem has been solved nor to I think the software can be called free to use if it can not be activated.

This question has not been answered.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events