What is askpass.exe?

I am constantly annoyed by an application that asks for my password. The executing file is askpass.exe. It has a logo that looks like a cheap China version of the source tree logo. Is this an official software from atlassian or is it malware ?

2 answers

1 accepted

The first result of Googling for this says that it is a SourceTree component.

Check and correct your stored credentials in Tools\Options\Authentication to make it stop asking for your password all the time.

This is correct, askpass.exe is part of the SourceTree distribution. It is provides a GUI to allow SSH via Git to ask for a username's password to access their SSH key, via the SSH_ASKPASS variable.

OK, thanks for a quick reply. Of course I tried google first. The file is signed and this is a good sign.  However there is loads of sites that writes about suspicious files. All of them advertise different tools they want me to install. If I would have spent more time on http://systemexplorer.net/ maybe I would have trusted this answer right away. But I choosed to ask in a more trusted forum (here).

Giving someone else access to my employers source code through malware would have been pretty embarrassing.

Suggest an answer

How to earn badges on the Atlassian Community

How to earn badges on the Atlassian Community

Badges are a great way to show off community activity, whether you’re a newbie or a Champion.

Learn more
Community showcase
Published May 30, 2018 in Sourcetree

Tip from the team: configuring Git or Mercurial in Sourcetree

Supported Platforms macOS Windows To make using Sourcetree as simple yet powerful as possible we embed (bundle) dependencies such as Git, Git LFS, and Mercurial. We strive to keep these...

541 views 1 2
Read article

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you