Missed Team ’24? Catch up on announcements here.

Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What causes git to merge contents from different files?

cse_jskaggs October 20, 2023

I am having an issue where git is trying to merge contents from completely different files into each other and if it really breaking my project as you can imagine.  Here is an example of what I see after a merge:

2023-10-20 10_03_02-Sourcetree.png

What's extra special is that it seems that the file being merged in HEAD is pulling it's contents from another file, and the remote branch is the one that has correct contents in this case, but I do see it happening the other way around as well where the current head is the correct contents. 

Anyone have any thoughts on this?  It is happening to us on multiple projects, for multiple developers.

EDIT: to add some detail.  In the case above, the XRGeneralSettings.asset.meta file does not yet exist in HEAD.  This merge should simply be creating it from the remote branch, but instead, there is a conflict being generated.

1 answer

0 votes
Mukesh Kumar
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
December 21, 2023

Hi @cse_jskaggs 

We have tried reproducing the issue mentioned above. But it is not reproducing at our end.

If possible, could you please provide access to the mentioned repository? or share a sample repository which reproduces the same issue.

If these options are not possible, we can have a zoom call to see the issue on your machine. if you are comfortable with zoom call, please share the date and time we can contact you.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events