Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Want to 'move' my repository from Raspberry Pi to Bitbucket

Kelly Beard July 8, 2015

I have been playing around with git enough now and want to take the next step and make my project hosted remotely.  My current project is hosted locally on a Raspberry Pi at my desk.  I do back it up nearly every day if I've made changes.  I'm still green enough though to not have done github, bitbucket or whoever from the get-go, but now I want to expand a bit and even incorporate SourceTree and git-flow into how I work.  All of my development will be directed to a Raspberry Pi still.  So what do I need to do to move my code and my .git settings into Bitbucket?  If I look at the "Import existing code" form from Bitbucket it wants a URL, so I'm not sure how to do that.  Seems like I want to push all of my stuff to Bitbucket.

Something I just read says that git has no notion of a central repository, all repositories are the same or equal.

1 answer

1 accepted

4 votes
Answer accepted
Tim Crall
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 8, 2015

It is theoretically true that Git has no notion of a central repository.  But it's often not true in practice.

First create an empty repo on Bitbucket.  Then you should be able to push your repo to Bitbucket like this

git remote add bitbucket <url>
git push --all bitbucket
git push --tags bitbucket

Kelly Beard July 8, 2015

Thanks. I found that if you create a new repository on Bitbucket, it will give you instructions on how to push your code up to the new remote. I had to delete my current 'origin' (it was nonsensical anyway) and re-add my origin to be my new bit bucket repos.

Tim Crall
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 8, 2015

Yes, that's better if your current 'origin' wasn't meaningful.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events