Visually merging individual changes from diff between branches

Quite often it happens that some things were developed in a feature branch where I want to split off some of them into another branch that I can submit for a PR, while maintaining the rest in the feature branch for further development as they're not ready. In general, they cannot be separated by commits so I cannot cherry pick.

Say I branch off master and want to put some things into this new branch from my feature branch. I do "Diff Against Current" to see my changes, and then want to select from them (not individual commits, but the overall changes I see in this diff view). How then can I select individual changes to copy from the new branch? The "Reverse hunk" choices in the right pane when a file is selected don't work because the action happens in the opposite direction regardless of which is the selected branch. I can't even generally open from the UI the corresponding file from either branch to copy-paste manually from one to the other, because a lot of the time "Open Current Version" and "Open Selected Version" open the same version (what's up with that??)

I've seen this article, http://jasonrudolph.com/blog/2009/02/25/git-tip-how-to-merge-specific-files-from-another-branch/ but I don't see how I can do this visually within Sourcetree (how would I add a custom action for this?), and moreover, it limits me to doing whole files. How would I make it so I can visually merge between the file from two branches starting with Sourcetree and say using an external merge tool?

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes

Hi Borislav, I'm afraid you can not do this in Sourcetree, you can only do whole files. If you'd like, you can submit this as a Feature request in our issue tracker.

Best regards!

Ana

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Brian Ganninger
Published Jan 23, 2018 in Sourcetree

Tip from the team: workflow and keyboard shortcuts

Supported Platforms macOS Sourcetree has a lot to offer and, like many developer tools, finding and using it all can be a challenge, especially for a new user. Everyone might not love ...

229 views 0 3
Read article

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you
Atlassian Team Tour

Join us on the Team Tour

We're bringing product updates and pro tips on teamwork to ten cities around the world.

Save your spot