Using my own hosted repository in Source Tree

Hi there,

I'm fairly new to git and Source Tree in general, so apologies if I'm missing something blindingly obvious here!

In the past, I've easily been able to add a Bitbucket repository to my Source Tree mac app, but now I'm trying to add a remote repository on my own server that I've created without using Bitbucket.

My first question is if this is even possible?

If so, I must be getting the repository URL wrong, because whenever I try to add a repository in Source tree it's coming back saying 'This is not a valid source path / URL'.

The problem is, I'm not sure if it's an authentication issue or the fact that I'm just putting the wrong URL syntax in.

Again, I'm quite new to this so I can imagine I'm just getting the syntax wrong for the URL.

Here's the error I get when putting this URL in the Source Path/URL, myusername@myipaddress:public_html/origin.git :

/var/sites/m/mywebsite.com/.bashrc: line 41: ps: command not found
Enter passphrase for /var/sites/m/mywebsite.com/.ssh/id_rsa: fatal: protocol error: bad line length character: Init
fatal: 'public_html/origin.git' does not appear to be a git repository
Enter passphrase for /var/sites/m/mywebsite.com/.ssh/id_rsa: fatal: protocol error: bad line length character: Init

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Accepted answer

Hi Ashley,

I think there is something wrong with your git server, based on the error you get (bad line length character). Maybe this can help you : http://stackoverflow.com/questions/8170436/git-remote-error-fatal-protocol-error-bad-line-length-character-unab

Best regards,

Peter

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Published Oct 23, 2018 in Sourcetree

Tip from the team: configure your repos for hosting goodness!

Supported Platforms macOS Windows We recently introduced support for additional hosting services such as GitHub Enterprise, GitLab (Cloud, Community Edition, Enterprise Edition), and...

844 views 3 2
Read article

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you