Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using app password returns 'Your credentials lack one or more required privilege scopes'

Bryan Baker January 30, 2022

I received an email warning from Atlassian that user passwords won't be allowed after March 1. I followed the steps at this page to create an app password and apply it to Sourcetree (v. 3.4.7):

https://support.atlassian.com/bitbucket-cloud/docs/app-passwords/ 

I granted almost all permissions to the app password, except account/issues/wiki.

When I try to edit or add an authentication account in Sourcetree, it spins a bit and displays the error message: 'Your credentials lack one or more required privilege scopes'. I've tried both HTTPS and SSH, using Basic authentication. If I use my user password, it works fine (but of course that apparently won't work after March).

4 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Bryan Baker February 10, 2022

I tried once again creating a new app password, and this time I gave it EVERY permission available. I used the password to create a new authentication login in Sourcetree, and this time it worked. I don't know whether adding the user-account permissions etc. actually made a difference, or if something was different with how Sourcetree connected with the Atlassian system. But it's annoying that it seems that I had to give it such broad permissions in order to get it to work.

1 vote
Dylan Jacobs February 11, 2022

Account Read and Repositories Read and Write are required, worked in SourceTree

Bryan Baker February 11, 2022

I had included read/write on repositories in a prior app password, but it didn't work for me--I got the notice that it lacked privileges. That said, per my other post here, when I granted all available permissions it worked, but the extra ones I added should not have made a difference. So I'm still befuddled about why it worked with all permissions.

Andrey Khatimlianskiy February 11, 2022

It works for me now with Account Read and Repositories Read and Write permissions only. Thanks!

1 vote
Pramodh M
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 30, 2022

@Bryan Baker 

It requires account scope!!

Bryan Baker January 30, 2022

Thanks, but where do you set or specify account scope?

Deleted user October 25, 2022

Thanks, it works for me love you 

0 votes
Andrey Khatimlianskiy February 1, 2022

I have the same issue.

Tried both login/email as login and just generated app password, doesn't work.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events