Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Updating existing Bitbucket repo from SourceTree

Fred Riley June 7, 2015

Hi

This is my first appearance on this forum so please be gentle. I've got a few repos on Bitbucket which I last updated in September 2014 using Aptana (not the ideal Git client). I've installed SourceTree (to which I'm a newbie) on my Windows machine to try to manage these repos. I would like to update the repos on Bitbucket with my newer local files, but it doesn't look like this option is available. All I can see, on SourceTree installation, is the option to clone an existing repo to an empty directory on localhost, after which I guess I'd have to copy newer files to this local directory and commit them.

A more concrete example: say the remote repo is called '12monkeys'. I last committed to that repo from localhost on 1st September 2014, but I continued to work on the project locally to the current day. I would like to commit files stamped after September 2014 to the '12monkeys' from local host so that local and remote repos are synchronised.

I've tried the fine manual (what there is of it), have read the FAQ, and have even tried a Famous Internet Search Engine, but can't see the question being asked, though that's perhaps I can't tie down the search terms that I should use. There's no SourceTree tutorial (as lamented on this thread) and the Windows version doesn't have the comprehensive Help that the Mac version does. Could folk on this board tell me if what I'm after is possible, or if I'm going to have to clone to localhost first.

It would help if Bitbucket had an upload option on the web interface, but that might not be git-friendly.

Fred

www.fredriley.org.uk

1 answer

0 votes
Fred Riley July 30, 2015

Just to answer my own unanswered query, I've wrestled for a couple of hours today with SourceTree in Windoze, and have concluded that it is a staggeringly useless product - indeed, it's worse than useless. The easiest things to do are hard, there are no diagnostics, dialogues don't appear ("launch SSH agent" fails, for instance), the 'waiting' icon twiddles for hours with no obvious activity, and above all there's no documentation to speak of. Back to Aptana for me - it's idiosyncratic, but at least I've got it working well with Bitbucket. Or maybe even the git command line as everything's out in the open with that, not hidden behind an impenetrable and inscrutable GUI.

Confluence is a fine product, and kudos to Atlassian on that. Sourcetree sucks the big one sad

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events