Missed Team ’24? Catch up on announcements here.

Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to pull from a git repository (SourceTree Windows)

Lee Winder April 8, 2013

I've added an existing git repository to SourceTree in Windows and when trying to pull I (and everyone else on the team) is getting the following error

git -c diff.mnemonicprefix=false -c core.quotepath=false fetch origin

fatal: The remote end hung up unexpectedly

Completed with errors, see above.

Commands work prefectly well in Git Bash so I know we have authentication set up correctly according to the git command line.

If I try to do a fresh clone of the respository, the Repository Type just displays "This is not a valid source path / URL" and the Details button just displays "fatal: The remote end hung up unexpectedly"

SourceTree on Mac works fine with this repository so I'm assuming its an issue with our SSH validation?

Any help would be appreciated as no-one on the team is currently able to use SourceTree for Windows.

Thanks

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
stevestreeting
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 8, 2013

SourceTree for Windows currently only supports key-based validation via the PuTTY suite of Windows-native SSH tools. If your existing setup is using the Unix-style OpenSSH then this won't natively be supported yet. We hope to support both styles in future but picked Pageant initially because it was Windows-native and established via the Tortoise tools for over a decade.

Please see the FAQ 'How do I set up SSH keys for authentication?' section about how to set up your keys in SourceTree - you can import OpenSSH keys into PuTTY easily enough and use the tray-based agent Pageant to keep them in memory.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events