Unable to login to existing Atlassian account when using Sourcetree installer for Windows 10

Christopher Gibbs May 22, 2018

Hi,

I'm attempting to install Sourcetree 2.5.5 on my Windows 10 computer, but I receive the following error during the login step: "Something went wrong while attempting to validate your credentials." This same issue occurs on Internet Explorer 11, but does not happen when I log in using a different browser. One of my coworkers tried to log into his account with my computer's Internet Explorer and had the same result.

I've looked up this issue on the forums and I've tried several of the solutions, but I haven't had any luck. I have tried the following:

• Deleting personal settings in Internet Explorer
  • Resetting the Internet Explorer settings in the Advanced tab
  • My Internet Explorer Security Zone settings are already at "Medium-High" and the "Access data sources across domains" is already enabled
  • Allowing cookies from atlassian.com
  • Adding 

<setting name="AutomaticallyCleanUpDictionaryFiles" serializeAs="String">

<value>True</value>

</setting>

to the "user.config" file

• Installing a previous version of Sourcetree

I have also tried looking at the log file, but nothing is written to it. It's just an empty file.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Update: I tried logging in through Internet Explorer 11 on another coworker's computer and found that I received the same error. My coworker was wondering if this means it's an issue related to my account.

6 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
minnsey
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
May 24, 2018

Hi

The registration process relies on a component that uses Internet Explorer under the hood. If you can use Internet Explorer to login directly to https://id.atlassian.com then you should be able to do it in Sourcetree.

However if you can't please try checking the IE settings as follows:

1. open Internet Explorer
  2. open the Developer tools, f12
    1. set the Browser Mode 10
    2. set the Document Mode Standards
  3. open Cog/Internet options
    1. ensure the following settings are enabled
    2. Misc/Access data sources across domains
    3. Misc/Allow META_REFRESH
    4. Scripting/Active Scripting
Christopher Gibbs June 18, 2018

Thank you for your help, Michael. I'm sorry I got back to this so late, but your answer worked.

Adinugraha Tawaqal June 28, 2018

Hi, I used to be able to install Sourcetree using the Atlassian Account but today I help my coworker install and there is problem.

He cannot access https://common-admin-cdn.atlassian.com/atlassian-id/front-end/2.6.8 because of access denied.

I read the problem happen because the IE's settings is rejecting the javascript but when i try it in my computer who successfully installed the Sourcetree, it is still the same access denied.

I also try it in Chrome and still access denied. I even try in my Android cellphone with Firefox browser and I still get Access Denied.

Help please!

minnsey
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
July 3, 2018

Hi @Adinugraha Tawaqal

As you are experiencing the same issue across browsers and platforms it sounds like a network issue at your end.

Adinugraha Tawaqal July 3, 2018

It's solved now after updating the Internet Explorer.

Thanks

Ed Weiland July 3, 2018

Thanks, Michael.

Your solution (IE settings) worked for me this morning as well. Many many thanks...

gamebalance April 27, 2019

This thing not shows up in IE :( I click Emulation tab but it is just empty.

Also I can't understand where are those things in russian options of IE.

So confusing. I am able to login into Atlassian in IE.

0 votes
Alireza Rasekh May 3, 2022

Damn it, I have the same problem and I am using Chrome. Who use Internet Explore in 2022!!! 

0 votes
kalev_rebane February 15, 2020

fuck atlassin and fuck sourcetree! and fuck their logins!

its just a waste of time. 

im doing github and tortoise git since today!

0 votes
PLCNI January 8, 2020

Would be great if they did not use IE components for login. most of our team are having issues logging in.

0 votes
Sajeena K E February 20, 2019

https://id.atlassian.com/login is still getting something went wrong message in IE 10 Windows Pro 8

0 votes
Don Turrentine November 2, 2018

I just installed Sourcetree 3.0.8 and it seems like this has changed somewhat. Now Atlassian requires a BitBucket Server or BitBucket "Cloud" account --- the latter is an Atlassian account that is set up with BitBucket online (at least in the free tier).

I ran the installer and dropped the passwd and accounts json files in, but when I re-ran the newer install only those two options showed up, and it let me authenticate via Chrome (instead of the old IE only method). This was on Windows Server 2016, latest.

Hope that helps someone, thanks!

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events