When I try to do a Pull Request I get "Unable to open your web browser to ", do you have a default web browser set?
I do have a default. I've uninstalled, reinstalled, deleted settings, done everything and it isn't helping. I can't do my job without this ability what is going on?
I was having the same issue with version 3.3.4 of Sourcetree, and this is what worked for me to fix it.
That fixed it for me. It seems to me that re-setting the URL of the repository to the same address is what does the trick. I hope it works for you as well.
I just upgraded to 3.3.4. I also encountered such a problem and also find that the fix provided by this odd workaround is only temporary and doesn't hold between sessions.
I can add that I tried changing the following:
under Remote details
in Optional extended integration
the setting for Remote Account was "Generic Account" (with "Bitbucket" chosen for "Host Type" under "Legacy Account Settings").
Instead of relying on "Generic Account", I tried changing it to the more specific Remote Account setting of "Bitbucket". Whether that mattered at all or not, after quitting and restarting Sourcetree the Remote Account setting was back to "Generic Account".
It doesn't seem to be doing very well at remembering changes to settings.
There is an interesting old Sourcetree bug from back in 2015.
The interesting part was a comment from author Sarah Wu (excerpt below) in which she also found it helpful to Edit remote repository settings and click OK without changing anything.
That said, a subsequent comment from the author indicated their company was still seeing that issue. So it may be that she also found that workaround was only a temporary respite, not a lasting fix.
(BTW, I found this old issue that is now closed because someone else had the experience of "Unable to open your web browser to" xxx, "do you have a default web browser set?". That seemed to be related to the fact that they were using Chrome, not IE. However, when I tried a switch from Brave (a spin off from Chrome, but without Google spyware) to the standard recommeded MS Edge browser, it had no effect for me on the current issue.)
Temporary(?) workaround excerpt from Sarah Wu's comment (my emphasis added):
To follow up, I resolved this by doing the following:
Magically- the errors stopped and all methods to get a pull request to open in Stash work.
In the meantime, while we await a fixed version of Sourcetree, is there a way to reinstall the previous version of Sourcetree (and then avoid upgrading until this Sourcetree bug is fixed)?
p.s. In https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/SRCTREEWIN-12482 you mention that the bug doesn't happen in version 3.2.4 (the last version of 3.2.* ?). However, when I look at
it seems that the last version they have listed for Windows is 3.1.3. Is there a way to get the last Windows 3.2.* version?
p.p.s. NOTE: No one should use any Windows Sourcetree versions earlier than 3.1.3 because of this remote code execution vulnerability.
Here is the official list of previous installers. Note that the last reported version is 3.1.3
You can access other versions not in the list if you copy one of the URLs and manually change the number. For example, manually change the last reported one
p.s. In https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/SRCTREEWIN-12482 you mention that the bug doesn't happen in version 3.2.4
You are correct. What I was trying to say is that 3.2.4 is not the version where I encountered the error. I upgraded from version 3.1.3 to version 3.3.4, but when you are creating the Jira issue you select the affected version from a drop-down list and the latest one that could be selected was 3.2.4. The version 3.3.4 was not still in the list.
It has now been over 6 months since issue SRCTREEWIN-12482 was created, but it appears that no action has been taken to actually correct the introduction of that bug starting in 3.3.4.
MixJenkinsCI has added this comment:
"I'm on 3.3.8 and the problem is extremely irritating - can we raise the priority please - every time I restart SourceTree it has reverted back to GenericAccount and I have to set it to my user account - hordes of queries on the net about it"
Given that this is functionality that used to be working, how hard can it be to restore the past normal functionality? This isn't a request for a new feature, or even a request for any improvement beyond the functionality that already existed prior to 3.3.4.
Even though there is an "accepted" answer, that was a workaround that doesn't last. So a real fix is still needed.
(As an aside, I wonder if this issue would get more attention if it didn't have any accepted answer.)
In the meantime, this old comment about an earlier problem with pull requests and remotes admitted the following possible alternate work around (my emphasis added).
Overall, more people in my company seem to have the issue than not, so we have mostly switched to creating the Pull Request through the JIRA interface.
A formal issue SRCTREEWIN-12482 was created on Nov. 7, but has not been updated since that day. Sadly, it is marked "Low" priority.
I would encourage anyone affected by this to add themselves to both the "Affected customers:" and "Watchers:" for that issue.
In the meantime, since the problem exists in 3.3.4 and any Windows version earlier than 3.1.3 has a software security vulnerability that should be avoided, my best recommendation is to download, install, and use version 3.2.6 (or else version 3.1.3 which also works), and then avoid automatic updates until the problem is truly fixed.
A vulnerability has been published today in regards to Sourcetree for Windows. The goal of this article is to give you a summary of information we have gathered from Atlassian Community as a st...
Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!Find an event
Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!
Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.Host an event