Un wanted SourceTree merges

André Borud April 28, 2015

I've been working in the master branch of a project that is stored on bitbucket using git and I use SourceTree to manage it. 

Yesterday I merged in a branch with the master one, but noticed that there has been merges with other branches prior to my merge. In SourceTree it says that I made the merge. In bitbucket it says that an anonymous user made the merge (strange as it is a private repo). I have absolutely no recollection of the previous merges. 

Is there some kind of automated thing I have missed or anything that could have made this if I haven't ever even clicked on one of the other branches in sourcetree? 

All I ever do is commit, pull changes if any, and push. How should that merge a branch?

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
inside-logic April 28, 2015

What I see when I am working with Git (and SourceTree but this is a Git functionality AFAIK) is that a pull from a branch to another branch will create a merge from that branch into this other branch. Might that be your effect that your pulls are those merges?

If I don't overwrite the suggested commit message the default message says something like: Merge branch 'master' of "someremote location" into myBranch.

Tim Crall
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 30, 2015

A "pull" is very much a "merge". Specifically, it's a "fetch" plus a "merge".

Tim Crall
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 30, 2015

But you probably shouldn't be "pulling" anything into the master branch aside from the remote version of the same branch.

inside-logic April 30, 2015

Right. Now that you mention it I remember that I read some documentation sometime back about fetch and merge :-). I just recalled that from my tests with sourcetree and when learning git I saw the effect in my test projects.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events