Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

This is not a valid working copy path

Alvin Cristales May 8, 2019

So I'm trying to upload my website but I having a lot of issue. I'm new to Sourcetree and I've been breaking my head here. I added my github account and everything went fine there. but when I try to add a repository and add folder I get "This is not a valid working copy path." and the add button is grayed out. In addition, in Tool > Option > Git my embedded button is grayed out too. please help embedded.jpgmyWebSite.jpg

3 answers

2 votes
setrov June 11, 2020

One rare scenario for this error:

- Sourcetree or the machine crashes

- Sourcetree (oddly) loses its config and git is now disabled

- Instead of showing a relevant message, such as"Git is disabled, check options", Sourcetree says the path is not a valid repository

1 vote
Mikael Sandberg
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 8, 2019

Hi Alvin,

Welcome to the Atlassian Community.

The Embedded button is grayed out because that is what is being used by Sourcetree, so that is expected.

You are getting the error message because you are are trying to add a directory to Sourcetree that is not a Git repository. In order to add a local repository you first have to initiate it as a Git repository using the command git init. Take a look at Setting up a repository to learn more, and I would also recommend looking at the other tutorials that you find there. 

Mikael Sandberg
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 8, 2019

And once you are done adding your code to a local repository, follow these steps to upload it to github, Adding an existing project to GitHub using the command line

Like Javer Uribe likes this
Jude I August 28, 2019

Why does Sourcetree not do this automatically?

Like # people like this
Thomas Britt January 8, 2020

Yes, why does Sourcetree not do this automatically? This is the whole purpose of using Sourcetree in the first place.

Mikael Sandberg
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 8, 2020

Hi @Thomas Britt,

If you are referring to adding a new repository, essentially creating a new one, you can use the Create option. The Add implies that you already have the repository in place and just want to add it to Sourcetree so it can be accessed in there.

Like Genevieve Cooper likes this
Javer Uribe September 2, 2021

Gracias, simplemente no me aparecía la opción de agregar el repositorio por que no lo había iniciado. 

0 votes
Charles Robertson November 27, 2022

OK. So, if the local directory already has a .git folder in it, then you need to choose Add Working Copy. This allows you to add source control to the same repo on one or more machines. 

However, if this is a directory you wish to clone from a remote repository, the directory must be empty.

Then you choose Clone and then add your files into the directory. And then push your files to the remote. 
Or you can just clone directly from GitHub/BitBucket etc. This will open up SourceTree and automate the process for you. It will then download files from the remote repo to the local repo. 

jonathanrtaylor November 29, 2022

What do you mean by 'Add working copy'?  That's not an obvious option in Sourcetree.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events