It's not the same without you

Join the community to find out what other Atlassian users are discussing, debating and creating.

Atlassian Community Hero Image Collage

The procedure entry point EVP_Cipher could not be located in the dynamic link library ... libssh2-1

I've been using SourceTree perfectly for ages now, and have been on the latest version for a while (currently v2.1.2.5) without any issues.

I've been successfully pushing this morning, but then all of a sudden, SourceTree just started popping up the following error and will no longer push, and in fact pops up this error message at regular intervals - which now makes it totally un-usable!

Here's the error:

The procedure entry point EVP_Cipher could not be located in the dynamic link library C:\Users\username\AppData\Local\Atlassian\SourceTree\git_local\mingw32\bin\libssh2-1.dll. 


I found people had had similar issues with other DLLs, but none for this one.  I looked at various resoutions for other DLL issues people had had (eg looking for other copies of this file anywhere, etc) but there are no other copies at all on my computer (I use UltraSearch for a comprehensive search of my entire computer).

I tried un-installing SourceTree and installing it again, but it seems the uninstall really does bugger all, and so running the installation again just seemed to instantly start up SourceTree again.

I am no completely stuck, and this is a MAJOR issue for me in the middle of a bunch of majorly urgent jobs.

I don't have time to fiddle around with it, which is what has me really frustrated, even if there's a way to uninstall the whole thing properly and re-install it, that may help?  Although I don't want to lose all my settings and which repositories are added in SourceTree.

SURELY you'd think the uninstall should remove the DLL files - but it doesn't - I checked the C:\Users\username\AppData\Local\Atlassian\SourceTree\git_local\mingw32\bin\ folder after an uninstall, and everything was still there.  Really not happy :|

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted

SO, I managed to fix this issue in a roundabout way...

1. I downloaded GitHub desktop, and installed that...

2. THEN I copied the ENTIRE contents of the folder:


INTO the SourceTree folder:


OVERWRITING everything in there (I made a backup first of course).

3. Ran SourceTree and tried pushing again, everything worked!


What lead me to this was that I HAD tried copying other versions that I'd found of libssh2-1.dll into the folder, and that hand't worked, and had changed the error message, so I realised all the files likely needed to work together.

SO my best guess here is that something broke within the embedded git code for SourceTree, and the DLL reference no longer worked, but replacing it with the GitHub version of git put a full working copy of everthing that worked together in the location instead.


Suggest an answer

Log in or Sign up to answer
Community showcase
Published in Sourcetree

Sourcetree for Windows - CVE-2019-11582 - Remote Code Execution vulnerability

A vulnerability has been published today in regards to Sourcetree for Windows.  The goal of this article is to give you a summary of information we have gathered from Atlassian Community as a st...

4,942 views 0 12
Read article

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you