Terminal button in SourceTree fails to launch a terminal

Aman Sehgal June 26, 2014

I just downloaded source tree on windows 7 64 bit and am trying to launch the terminal from inside the GUI but it seems like its not able to launch the terminal. A window does pop up very briefly but thats it.

8 answers

7 votes
Deleted user March 17, 2020

- Updated SourceTree to 3.3.8
- Updated Embedded Git
- Disabled "Use Git Bash as default terminal" in "Tools->Options->Git"
- Starting Terminal now launches command prompt
- Restart SourceTree
- Enabled "Use Git Bash as default terminal" in "Tools->Options->Git"
- Starting Terminal git bash now works

Maykel Gonzalez April 3, 2020

This works for me too.

Thanks Alexander

2 votes
Aman Sehgal August 6, 2014

Yes. The terminal button actually works fine now that I switched back to useing embedded GIT. I was using system git earlier since I already had downloaded GIT previously.

raculim July 13, 2017

Thanks Aman Sehgal.

I disabled "Use Git Bash as default terminal" in "Tools->Options->Git" and now it's working fine.

I'm using Source Tree 2.1.2.5 on Windows 10 and was experiencing the same problem with some GIT repositories.

1 vote
timlegrand March 29, 2016

Note that SourceTree does not start the terminal when not in a repository (e.g. fresh install, no repo yet).

To enable the terminal, either:

• open an existing repository ;
  • or create a new dummy repository : "Clone / New" / "Create New Repository" then click on the terminal button. You can safely delete the dummy repository after that.
32734319 June 17, 2019

Tried it -- same error.  I believe that, several days ago, I installed another "git" (git for windows??) and I think it is conflicting with SourceTree's git.  Is that likely? Can I reinstall SourceTree?  How do I uninstall SourceTree?

0 votes
Sveta Matchenya August 6, 2014

Are there any updates on this topic?

0 votes
Sveta Matchenya August 6, 2014

Are there any updates on this topic?

0 votes
Aman Sehgal June 27, 2014

So i just checked again and figures that it is system GIT

0 votes
Aman Sehgal June 26, 2014

git 1.9.4 for windows. I think its system GIT

0 votes
Seth
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 26, 2014

Are you using embedded git or system git?

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events